Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My U Joints are shot!!!

My U-joints went bad around 90,000 miles. Basically, the U-joint connects to the drive shaft. Your drive shaft should be tight and steady. If you grab your drive shaft with two hands. Try moving it back and forth. It shouldn't move at all. If it does, your U-joint needs to be replaced.

Also, if the back of your car shakes in the rear suspect the U-joint. Go 20-30 miles per hour, the car starts shaking, release your foot off of the gas, it should ease shaking. If this happens, you have bad U-joints.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

taylorRichie,

Unless I'm mistaken (it happens) the Universal Joint is actually comprised of the plus shaped piece (forget what the real name of that piece is), the yoke (actually 2) and the spline. Typically tho, you only need to replace the plus shaped piece - there are roller bearings inside the end caps & those are usually the only thing that goes bad.

The good news is that the parts are usually cheap. The bad news is that it can be a real pain to replace them. If you do it yourself, make sure you put them back together EXACTLY the same as they came out. If you get the phase wrong, you'll get UBER vibration.

Did a little research:

The piece shaped like a plus sign is called 'the cross'

Also: "Among the most common causes of U-joint and slip failure is the lack of proper lubrication. Properly sized U-joints that are adequately lubricated at recommended intervals will normally meet or exceed operational requirements. Proper lubrication flushes of U-joints thus remove contaminants from the bearing caps."
    Last edited by tom4bren : 05/29/2008 at 10:37 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Very good Tom

Thanks for the correction.

The Universal Joint is the combination of the Yokes, The Cross, and the parts that keep 'em together.

I greased my U joints this evening, but I could get much to even penetrate the zerk... weird.

Awesome Image of the complete U-Joint
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 05/29/2008 at 09:20 PM

Back when I used to run parts (when I was 17, so 10 years ago) I used to go here:
    http://www.sixstates.com

For all of our driveline components.

If you removed your U-Joints, and brought them in I bet they could match them up and possibly upgrade you to better units.

Just a thought for those in need.

sorry, no video tonight.. got called into work.. should have it up over the weekend

my joints took a little muscle to force the grease through... if you are having grease come back out of the zerk fitting, it either means your fitting is jammed up with a small pebble or your grease gun tip is the wrong size

"I greased my U joints this evening, but I could get much to even penetrate the zerk... weird."

Two thoughts:

1) they don't hold much grease - just a small hole down the length of each leg of the cross to allow the grease to get out to the bearing cups (also happens to be the outer race). The cups aren't that big & they are pretty full considering that they cover the needle bearings and the ends of the cross (inner race). Basically the only room for grease is the area around the needle bearings.

2) without regular service (grease) the bearings could have gotten hot enough to 'cook' the grease & make it harden. You can't force new in if you can't push the old out.

I had an old Dodge & the U Joints didn't have Zirk's. When I finally went to replace, guess what ... no grease in the cups & no needle bearings either - just rust colored dust.

Unhappy

Vid... Etlsport?

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

If you take your front or rear driveshaft off for any reason, put a mark or scratch on both flanges to line them back up to the same position when they go back.

John C.

"If you take your front or rear driveshaft off for any reason, put a mark or scratch on both flanges to line them back up to the same position when they go back."

'Zackly - that's the phase I mentioned earlier - the front & rear U-joints need to be oriented properly with each other.

uploading the video now to youtube.. but i have to run to work in like 15 minutes and its not done uploading.. ill try to post the link to the video later but if you dont want to wait that long try searching youtube for "vehicross zerk"

I have no idea what happened to my grease gun in the move, so the video just shows the zerk fittings on the u joints and the drive shaft

what you would do is buy a grease gun with a flexible hose at least 12" (i had to buy them separate) buy some grease to put in it, it comes in a cardboard tube, i used mobil 1 synthetic grease.. load up the tube into your grease gun according to the instructions

get under the vx and locate your zerk fittings.. if you cant find them, roll the vx forward about 1 foot and check again (dont forget to put it in park and set your parking brake!!!)

push the tip of the grease gun squarely onto the zerk fitting.. start pumping grease in! if you see grease coming out from around the fitting, make sure the grease gun is pushed all the way on and try again, pump grease until the grease you see start to come out of the middle of the u joints looks clean (you will hear it and see it come out after 5-6 pumps)
    the fitting in the middle, the grease will come out where the driveshaft changes sizes, youll see it

oh one thing.. i would recommend getting some latex gloves.. i got that grease on my hands the first time i did it.. my hands felt slimey for a week.. used latex gloves this time... i was eating fries about 10 min later

Thumbs down

Well... I STILL don't have my VX back. I definitely haven't recovered since my return from Moab. I should have just stayed there. Sorry I have been MIA lately. Since my VX is gone, I just don't feel the same... Hopefully I will have her back tomorrow, though I should have had her back last week!!!

I need a hug...
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post

I need a hug...

No hugs available...will do!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

link to the video showing all 3 grease points on the drive shaft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzaNXz-ty34

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN View Post

I need a hug...
    WTH???....GILL, give her a hug for cryin' out loud!