Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why cute?

Yeah, what's the deal? Why can't they make small, fuel efficient cars that look cool?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    OOH! They do, the Tesla!
    Sorry, I forgot to add "affordable".

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Sorry, I forgot to add "affordable".

Bart
    How about the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. I looked into a yellow Saturn Sky Redline, but two things stopped me -- the name "Saturn" and the name "Sky".
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    How about the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. I looked into a yellow Saturn Sky Redline, but two things stopped me -- the name "Saturn" and the name "Sky".
    Yeah, my wife likes em, and quite honestly, it is an impressive design for both Pontiac and Saturn. Kinda like a poor mans Lotus Elise. They look nice, but like you said, I ain't buying a Pontiac or a Saturn...no way, no day.

Bart

My new manager saw the VX for the first time today and said it looked like an armadillo! ...

...a very unique, kick- AZZ armadillo!

(he can't wait for a ride)
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

actually the solstice/sky wasn't designed by GM it was designed by a shop in Austrailia (who AFAIK also designed the new GTO chassis, but not the style).

I actually considered buying a sky at one point. I sat in one at a tradeshow before they came out and loved it. when they did finally come out the dealerships neglected to order any with a stick shift... and they wanted upward of $30K for it... so that killed it for me...no way I'm paying that much for anything less than exactly what I want in the car.

brought my VX to work yesterday for the first time... and I got my first "cute" from a female co-worker

I also got a lot of comments on my license plate... WARTHOG

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I test drove a Redline last month. The things that turned me away from it:

- the price ($34k sticker)

- insanely poor factory tune (end up hunting under every rock in the state and spending a small fortune on a custom tune, only to find out the exhaust, turbo, and intercooler need a swap)

- ONLY convertible, no hard top option (not a convertible fan at all)

- lastly, my $25k WRX, with $4 worth of mods, outperforms in across the charts.... worth noting the argument I got into with the salesman over this, hahaha. when i told him the drive was fun, but still disappointing, he pointed to my WRX in the lot (not knowing it was mine) and said it would "send that car to the pits crying". I guess that's what car salesmen get paid to say, but he is wrong, heh.

What I did like was the numbers and the fun factor. Insanely fun little car to drive and I think it looks great. Poor man's exotic design. However, for the price of the car all else listed above, I would just assume get the '08 STI. All the bang for all the buck.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Dang - Y'all jinxed me. I got 'cute' yesterday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The Solstice hard top is coming out soon - much cooler! Still a Pontiac... but come on, we drive Isuzus!
    Can't beat 'em at the track, the combination of smooth turbo power( with decent lowend grunt), well matched gearbox, and bigger rubber than the competition, made the Solistice a road course/autocross champ this last year. When the GXP gets a revamped suspension this year (Cobalt S/S based) it'll be a mini-monster. The S/S Cobalt is an amazing preformer for a front driver (front drive and a horribly cheap interior are it's only downsides...but where would you rather spend your engineering bucks) Wonderful drivetrain!! I'm considering a Solistice, and a step up to GT from spec racing. That hardtop will make it "legal" and the driveline/suspension are ensuring it'll be damn near unbeatable....and it won't cost alot more than the Mazda (about 50k car included) to get ready. BFI already bought the Mazda a few months back, so I've a slot open..now I just gotta get my "suspension" in order.

lol! you guys crack me up! i have to admit, i used to use the "C" word ALL of the time, no matter what i was describing. i've learned to say "sweet" "hot" "mean" "bad as*"....etc. well, that is when i'm referring to anything that would be masculine!

i think it's just a girl thing. heck, we call army hummer's cute! :bgwp:

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    actually the solstice/sky wasn't designed by GM it was designed by a shop in Austrailia (who AFAIK also designed the new GTO chassis, but not the style).
    That's weird.... I remember designing both of them at GM in Warren Michigan. Maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac G8. And the reason the VX is 'cute' is because the wheelbase is so short. That proportion will always come off as cute... see the MINI, and the SmartCar and my avatar above.
    Canadian VXer!

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman View Post
    I was just thinking today...
    would it be cool/possible to paint the front end something like an old P-40 Warhawk?

There wouldn't be any chance of "cute" with that on it!
    Jajajajajaja that was funny though.

Believe me,if you do paint that on the VX you wouldn't not get the CUTE any more.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Ah, my favorite plane!!!

That has to be one of my altime favorite planes. I'd take my VX painted like that.

D.W.

Good job! I really like the Solstice Coupe, there’s just something special about that car.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
    That's weird.... I remember designing both of them at GM in Warren Michigan. Maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac G8. And the reason the VX is 'cute' is because the wheelbase is so short. That proportion will always come off as cute... see the MINI, and the SmartCar and my avatar above.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

The Solstice hard top is coming out soon - much cooler! Still a Pontiac... but come on, we drive Isuzus!
    Ah, yes! The Pontiac Solstice is way cooler now in the 2009 "hardtop" version. Plus; with the hardtop, you can now lock the doors without having to worry about someone cutting the softtop with a knife. For those that don't like the "Pontiac" name-- you can always debadge it like you already do to the VX. Got 'cha!