Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Thanks for the Cladding Care Info

I've found a product that works great on the cladding. It last several weeks, HP-94 Onyx Bumper & Molding Restorer. It's made by Kar Kraft if you call them they'll tell you a local distributor.

http://www.karkraftsystems.com/Products.htm

I read somewhere (on old posts here I think), that over time Armor All can actually dry out the dash and other interior plastics and make them more brittle and prone to cracking/warping. I think this was because of it having some alcohol content and that the alcohol strips away moisture.

I have heard that Son of a Gun was safe inside and for the cladding, and it is very easy and looks good. It is sort of hard to apply to the interior plastics in my experience (doesn't take to the plastic in there real easily for some reason in my experience). And you're right - if it doesn't stay dry for a little while after application, you'll have lots of streaks. And after any wash there are certain places the water tends to run down the cladding and I will have streaks to touch up in those places. So I would be open to trying Meguiar's for that. I couldn't find it the last time I looked, though.

I have heard that about Armor All. I use Black Majic or any other tire shine product and it works really well on my cladding. I think the only permanent fix is Line X. I just wish I could find an alternative with less texture and more shine.

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    If line-x had similar texture to the cladding, that would be great.

Don't get me wrong, it does look good from the pictures I have seen. But it definitely changes the look of the VX.

At the same time, I disagree about shine. I think low to moderate shine looks best on the VX, especially when the paint is polished up nice. Gives it a nice contrast.

Granted, I haven't tried any of these high-shine products yet. I may change my tune in the future.
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

For users of Back-to-Black, I'm thinking I've seen warnings about that similar to those about Armor All. Not positive, but worth looking into. May be nothing wrong with it, but make sure.

The dealer I bought mine from tried to spray down the cladding (with either Armor All or Back-to-Black), and did a real half-arsed job of it and it was real spotty. Not that the product wouldn't have made it look nice if done right, but the salesman was very surprised by how much better it looked a couple of days later when I was there again picking up a new front turn signal cover. I had wiped it down good with Son of a Gun.

Thumbs up

I'm sold on MOTHERS BACK TO BLACK, I tried Turtle wax 2001 but it only lasted 2 weeks. My first application of Back to Black is still holding up after 1 month.
    It's the love child of a Hummer & SLK, uniquely rugged & SLeeK

Just Once product

Originally posted by VX4EJR
    Has anyone tried this yet?

http://www.justonce.com/
    I tried Just Once and it will look great after the second time you put it on.
    But, I will not use it again because this stuff last way too long. It like adding another coat of paint every time you use it and I can't take it off now. It's been almost a year since last time I used it and you can still see traces of cloth smear of Just Once residue in some area.

I put Son of a Gun and I like it better even if it doesn't last as long.

Next time I will try the McGuire's Tire Dressing.

Michael
    Last edited by BlackVX : 06/27/2003 at 07:57 AM

Re: Just Once product

Originally posted by BlackVX
    I tried Just Once and it will look great after the second time you put it on.
    Is that, like, an existential car-care joke?

Re: Re: Just Once product

Originally posted by WyrreJ
    Is that, like, an existential car-care joke?
    No, I'm dead serious. the first time you put this product you will see smear all over the place. It's only at the second coat that the product makes ther cladding looks great. It's just like painting. No kidding, no jokes.

MEGUIRES

BEEN USING THE MOTHER'S ON THE CLADDING. BUT I WILL GIVE THE MEGUIRES A SHOT-
    TRIED "JUST ONCE" JUST ON THE HOOD- WASN'T HAPPY WITH IT - MAYBE THE HEAT. BUT IT DOES WORK GREAT ON INTERIORS- NON GREASY/NON SLIPPAGE- WORKS EVEN ON THE STEERING WHEEL- SHIPPING IS MINIMAL AND THE PRODUCT IS INEXPENSIVE AND LASTS.
    IF AMORALL IS A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT MAKING INACCURATE CLAIMS WE SHOULD HEAR ABOUT A HUGE CLASS ACTION SUIT SOON- I DON'T KNOW ANYONE WHO HASN'T TRIED IT ONCE OR HAD IT APPLIED AT A CAR WASH!!!
    I STILL USE THE AMORALL CLEANER/ PROTECTOR COMBO ON SOME AREAS I WANT SHINEY AND SLIPPERY ;pr;

I've never used anything on my cladding and after two years it still has that same smooth flat off-black finish that is came with. I really don't think you need to put anything on it!
    Canadian VXer!

end of story

mrtew is right- let's stop "rubbing the cladding" and get out and drive!

I am having a tough time finding the Meguiars Tire Dressing? Is that the actual name? If not, can somebody post the actual name, or maybe describe the color or shape of the bottle? I realize this is a dorky question, but the HUGE wall of cleaners at the local Pep Boys scares me a little.

The bottle is usually filled with purple gel / liquid.
    Last edited by Tone : 08/08/2003 at 05:45 PM

MANNY AND MOE ARE O.K. BUT THAT JACK IS A REAL FREAK- I'VE READ HE USES TIRE DRESSING ON THAT HIGH FOREHEAD OF HIS TO ATTRACT THE CHICKS.