Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 4th of July 2008 Camping Trip @ Mammoth Lakes

Maybe the weekend after the 4th0july?
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

Quote Originally Posted by cyronman View Post
    Maybe the weekend after the 4th0july?
    Well, sure, we could, I was just hoping to have that extra day off....but if it doesn't work out, I'm down.

Bart

James, any updates? Do you think it will be too busy down there for the 4th?

CrnCnn/Ascinder: How are your vehicles? If we don't get down to Mammoth for the 4th, maybe we could do the Petroglyphs? James, would you be willing to come up this way if camping down there doesn't pan out?

Bart

I just looked at mine yesterday and saw nothing to obvious. I need new rotors that’s for sure but the clicking has got me. I lubed up the CV that was run with a loose boot but didn’t seem to fix it. I will look at my transfer case fluid and front diff levels soon. It is really loud in 4low. I wouldnt feel good about driving all the way there with out knowing whats wrong.

CrnCnn, is the clicking all the time, just when turning, just under acceleration...?
    If you have the trooper skids you might check to see if the front plate has been bent towards the front of the drive shaft. Others and myself have had this problem.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    CrnCnn, is the clicking all the time, just when turning, just under acceleration...?
    If you have the trooper skids you might check to see if the front plate has been bent towards the front of the drive shaft. Others and myself have had this problem.
    Well I am pretty certain its the CV's but not 100%. I dont have any skid plates. It happens mostly under acceleration, havent noticed any change when turning. It really started on our Hells revenge trip in Moab. I was driving with an open boot most of the week cause my band came loose on the way Moab. There was plenty of grease so I let it go for a couple days. I may be regretting it now. I was going to pull the CV's and see were that left me but its a lot of work and I got lazy. I was thinking of pulling the front drive shaft and seeing if that made a difference.

Unless you got some dirt or rocks in there that short of a period should not have done any damage. Have you tried thoroughly cleaning it and filling it with grease then putting the boot back on? Also usually when a CV goes bad you will notice a lot more clicking during turning. Try it in a parking lot with your windows down and see what you get. Maybe have someone out side try and narrow down where the noise is coming from.
    Just throwing this out there but have you checked the oil level?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    Unless you got some dirt or rocks in there that short of a period should not have done any damage. Have you tried thoroughly cleaning it and filling it with grease then putting the boot back on? Also usually when a CV goes bad you will notice a lot more clicking during turning. Try it in a parking lot with your windows down and see what you get. Maybe have someone out side try and narrow down where the noise is coming from.
    Just throwing this out there but have you checked the oil level?
    I didnt completely clean it so that could be. I just added more grease after the best inspection I could give with the tire off and the boot peeled back. The motor oil level is fine. I havent checked the front diff yet though. It usually only happens at 30mph or above under acceleration, when in 4hi. But pretty consistent in 4lo. Thanks for the input. I may have to call a Reno work meeting again soon. I know Beau and Bart both had things they wanted to get done.

Get a can of brake cleaner and clean all the old grease out, let dry and repack with grease and put the boot back on. That may be all you need.

I'm game for Sunday. I need to do my diffs and transfer case.

Bart

Hey guys!
    I have been scouting out trails the past few days. There is alot of stuff here. I could explore for weeks and not hit the same trail. I would hate to have anyone not up and running 100% and miss out, so let's see what pans out with Clint.
    Best,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
    Hey guys!
    I have been scouting out trails the past few days. There is alot of stuff here. I could explore for weeks and not hit the same trail. I would hate to have anyone not up and running 100% and miss out, so let's see what pans out with Clint.
    Best,

Dont hold anything up on account of me. If I am not 4x in time I will just stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Dont hold anything up on account of me. If I am not 4x in time I will just stay home.
    Well, why couldn't you just take your Jeep? I mean, it would suck to not have your VX, but its better than staying home!!

Bart

If I am not 4x in time I will just stay home.
    Yeah right, that's why we got a winch, we can use you for the guinea pig
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Seriously though, Clint, what do you think is needed to get your VX back up to speed? Are you thinking major CV work?

Bart