Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil leak from ????

Oil leak from ????

I noticed a drop on the garage floor again and crawled under. Its definitely oil and its not coming from my pan. It looks like its dropping down onto the top of my front diff on the passenger side, and then dripping down the side of the diff and splattering underneath a little.

I looked in from over and under with a flashlight and I can't really see where it would be coming from. It seems like a running leak, which is probably not so good. I wiped everything clean and then checked in the morning and it was still dry, but after a drive there is some oil there again.

The VX is running fine and I am not throwing and codes, so it just seems like a slight leak from somewhere.

Any ideas? I will post pics later.

Bart

Don't really know where it might be coming from either. I would suggest that you check your EGR tube, PCV & oil fill cap to make sure they are all OK but I seem to remember that you've been doing that already. Is your dipstick seated firmly? (that sounds bad - keep it clean folks)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I haven't checked the EGR tube, but everything else you mentioned is good. I'm changing my oil after work tomorrow, and will install a new PCV as well. I think I will clean everything up real nice underneath and see what happens. Unfortunately, I am thinking its a engine leak somewhere, probably a gasket.

Bart

The previous owner of my VX had some after market gauges in mine and I had a leak from the sending unit. I took out the old one and put in a plug.

Check that out.

i know that i have a lot of oil in that area in my VX from an unsteady hand and lack of funnel when adding oil to my VX. maybe you have oil pooled somewhere from a miss? I've noticed that i am still losing a good amount of oil around my oil cap, and the cap and gasket are less than 6 months old.. probably a pressure issue somewhere... but if you are losing oil there, maybe its building up somewhere

ive been thinking recently.. any chance the oil consumption has to do with the bad intake manifold gaskets? I ask because supercharged engines dont seem to have as much problem with oil leaking.. and the intake manifold has been removed on all of those engines and the gaskets replaced...

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i know that i have a lot of oil in that area in my VX from an unsteady hand and lack of funnel when adding oil to my VX. maybe you have oil pooled somewhere from a miss? I've noticed that i am still losing a good amount of oil around my oil cap, and the cap and gasket are less than 6 months old.. probably a pressure issue somewhere... but if you are losing oil there, maybe its building up somewhere

ive been thinking recently.. any chance the oil consumption has to do with the bad intake manifold gaskets? I ask because supercharged engines dont seem to have as much problem with oil leaking.. and the intake manifold has been removed on all of those engines and the gaskets replaced...
    Your thinking is my thinking. An intake manifold gasket leak is what I am guessing. I am careful when I pour, I use a big funnel, and I haven't spilled any oil under the hood in some time. And since I have been doing this since I bought my VX, I am sure its not from me spilling. This dribble, although slight, seems to be coming from a consistent source. I will take photos soon.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Are there any psssttttf noises when you are on an incline? :bgwg:
    Thankfully, no. I don't ever want to hear that sound again.

Bart

I snapped some pics. This is looking up at the front diff. Passenger side on the right.

I am not 100% sure its oil, but it seems to be. I'm gonna let some drip on a piece of white paper tonight so I can be sure, cause I almost wonder if it is dirty coolant. But I think its oil.

Bart

So I jacked up the front end yesterday and really looked around. I also dabbed up some of the fluid and I am still not 100% sure its oil.

Could it be diff fluid leaking from my front diff? If so, where would it be coming from? The plug on the diff case looks clean. I just really couldn't see if it was oil leaking down from somewhere. If it is oil coming off the engine, its definitely leak from the bottom of the engine...

I'm clueless....and a little worried. I need to find a good, trustworthy Zu mech in Reno.

Bart

Would also putting a piece of cardboard on top of the diff (but not touching) overnight help narrow down where the leak may be coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    Would also putting a piece of cardboard on top of the diff (but not touching) overnight help narrow down where the leak may be coming from?
    That's a dern fine idea, sir. Thanks.

Bart

I have that same leek and I can’t figure out where its coming from. I’m thinking its from the front dif. I have a feeling it was over filled during its last servicing. I had that happen ones on my bronco about 15 years ago. It was seeping from the seal on one side of the dif, after I returned it to its normal level then it was fine,I’m going check it this weekend.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    I have that same leek and I can’t figure out where its coming from. I’m thinking its from the front dif. I have a feeling it was over filled during its last servicing. I had that happen ones on my bronco about 15 years ago. It was seeping from the seal on one side of the dif, after I returned it to its normal level then it was fine,I’m going check it this weekend.
    Interesting. I was planning to service my diffs soon. Its been about 30k since I changed my diffs. If there is a bad seal on a diff though, what can be done?

Bart

This is what mine looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    This is what mine looks like.

Richard, how many miles on your VX? This looks exactly like mine too, but your fluid looks more green? Makes me wonder, do we have coolant dripping down from somewhere? Are you SURE yours is diff fluid?

Bart