Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Oil leak from ????

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Bart, did you find out anything?
    Negative. This weekend was kind of a cluster for me so I didn't even get a chance to look at it again.

Bart

Me to, I had some unexpected interruptions.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

So, I am still leaking from this spot and I would say it is the seal around my diff. So, has anyone else out there with leak got it fixed?

Bart

Bart,

Mine hasn't leaked but since I just completed my diff drop I kinda know what's going on in there. If you are going to do the diff drop then you'll be removing the seal anyway. This would be the time to replace the CV boots as well since you'll be 97.3% of the way there anyway.

Have you looked at StarChild's instructions for installing the Darlington diff drop brackets? I have it in pdf if you want me to send it to you. You can see the seal in the third picture in those instructions.

I didn't replace my seal (StarChild indicated this was OK so I took the gamble). I just happen to have 2 spares from the axle I got from the boneyard if you need them tho.

If you can live with the leak until you are ready to do the diff drop, I would recommend that you do so. You'll have the axle broken down as far as you'll ever take it during that process so just wait till then to perform any more diagnostics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Tom,

My first question in response to your reply, is why do I need to do the diff drop? I know this will help with the angle of my CV joints, but I don't think I am lifted to the extent you are.

But yeah, to change the seal looks like I will be going all the way in and removing the CV up front to get at it, which I am sure will fubar the boots...

Maybe I will just deal with the leak and keep checking the levels until I decide its time to do the work.

Bart

Bart,

You lifted 3" right? That's all I lifted & have been trashing 2 sets of CV boots per year. I think LittleBeast is the same. CSTYLES is the same. You may not have torn a boot yet but chances are that you will eventually. I'm not trying to talk you into the diff drop - just letting you know. The only reason for dropping the differential is to prolong CV joint & CV boot life - there are no other benefits.

Removing the CV boots won't trash them if you're careful. The only damage I did to mine was a small cut when I was trying to remove the band.

If there is a remote possibility that you will eventually want the diff drops then take care of it all at once: diff drop, CV boots, oil seal, re-gear, lockers. Trust me, it's not a job you'll want to do twice. It's not that complicated but it's dirty & time consuming.

Tom

You know, I don't know exactly what height increase I had. I just put in the OME912s in the rear and cranked the front end up about 9-11 turns. And that was that. So far so good with my boots. You're right, they will probably tear eventually. But I guess what I don't understand, is that there are a few of us on here with diff drop brackets who are still breaking boots...

???? Bart

Bart - I am at the same height as you are and am driving with a torn boot. Tom is at the same hieght as well. We all in fact are at roughly the same height other than that one with 36's.

tom if you do not mind would you send me that pdf? I have a seal leak as well. I am only waiting on a cross member drop and a few $$ to install this. I plan on knocking out the diff drop along with a load of other mods/services at the same time.

J,

I'll PM you.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You know, I don't know exactly what height increase I had. I just put in the OME912s in the rear and cranked the front end up about 9-11 turns. And that was that. So far so good with my boots. You're right, they will probably tear eventually. But I guess what I don't understand, is that there are a few of us on here with diff drop brackets who are still breaking boots...

???? Bart
    I am at stock height and had to replace a boot. shawn
    1COOLVX

Bone stock or lifted with diff drops - there will be a few CV boot casualties. The diff drops just keep you from replacing boots twice a year.