Thread: cross country prep... Any tips?

cross country prep... Any tips?

It's not looking good for me here in So-Cal with losing my job, losing my house, and not having the money to keep myself afloat. So I'm thinking I'll end up moving back to West Virginia. I have a lil list wrote out of what I need to do to prep my bee for the long haul. It contains what I remember from highschool auto tech and this sites feedback. Sooo here it is;

Check and replace (if needed) -
    Fluids - oil, tranny, power steering, coolant, a/c, brake and washer.
    Filters - air, fuel, tranny, oil and in-cabin
    And also check - tire condition and pressure, alignment, wipers, axles, cv's, hoses and belts.
    I'm thinking I covered everything but I wanted to post here to be Absolutely positive. Please, all comments accepted. (also, if anyone knows of anything else I need or should have or know about a cross country trip, feel free to chime in. I've been on atleast 3 and drove from WV to TX and back before but this time I think I'll be doing it alone)
    thanks in advance...

Richard

Also, when I get the funds, I will be more contributive to the vx.info site and to the Monchas. I feel kinda like an outcast not being able tohelp out like evryone else and I have seen how some don't really feel the same about nonsupporters as they do about supporters. I just wish I could afford todo more.

A gallon of 50/50 antifreeze, a flash light, drinking water and a cell phone.

doesnt have to be activated... 911 works no matter what..

Good luck

Jeff

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    I always carry spare serpentine & supercharger belts, upper & lower radiator hoses + 4-5 ft. of heater hose & an assortment of hose clamps.
    Duct tape, basic hand tools & an assortment of fuses can also come in handy...
    Extra motor oil & ATF
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/10/2008 at 03:00 AM

things i always keep in my vx...

fire extinguisher
    rubber mallet
    socket set w/ deep sockets
    screwdriver with many different heads
    mechanics gloves
    pipe pliers

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Come out to Moab and say hello on your way East.

Quote Originally Posted by So-CalVX View Post
    It's not looking good for me here in So-Cal with losing my job, losing my house, and not having the money to keep myself afloat. So I'm thinking I'll end up moving back to West Virginia.
    Are you looking for a new job? What do you do? I know of a bunch of tech jobs in Colorado... in which case you'd only have to drive /halfway/ across the nation.

Tire sealant/inflator might be a good idea. They sell them in any autoparts for $2-3 bucks.
    Andrey

well I never had a career of any kind. I had my auto-tech license in WV but it died when I couldn't get a job there after 3 years. And I left all the tools I had aquired out there, out there. I was a parts driver for a Honda dealership here and right now I work p/t at an Abercrombie & Fitch. I'm hoping to get hired at a water place delivering water softeners and move up but if that doesn't happen I'll be kinda screwed and have to crash on my neighbors couch untill either I find another real job or get everything settled and can drive back to WV to live with my dad and get a job where he works or others I know can help me out.

I would be happy to stop by and visit any vxers along the way. If I do end up having to vacate Cali I will post up my drive. Anyone nearby my route should chime in and tell how to get to their residence or a local hang.

And thanx for the input and advice guys. Anybody think of anything I should do to the VX besides what I mentioned?

Richard

Why dont you just get a sales position somewhere like a car salesman or something real quick. Those types of jobs are everywhere. Get on career bulider.com or monster.com.