Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: RPM Problems

just recently replaced the gas filter , the MAS seems to be tight too. what els might it be?
    Ironman

I had the same problem with my 99 last year, it ended up being the fuel pump and fuel regulator.
    Terry Daniel

When Clogged...

Originally posted by driver3
    Thanks... do you know if this is a "replace it when it's clogged, or a regular maintinence thing?
    ... Way too late I do mine once a year or every 12,000 miles. A clogged filter will leave you stranded, your engine will show many signs of distress before that happens... poor gas mileage being first, followed by rough idle, etc...

Also make sure you lube all cables, a sticky cable can lead to all sorts of problems, in this case idle can stick, worst case, throtle stuck open... can be fatal... 2 cents worth
    NAVIGATOR

'01 EBONY 1330 r.i.p. now '01 PROTON 0987
    If it stored any codes due to the unplugged MAS, clear them from memory first. If that's not it, then I'd have to go with the regulator / pump suggestion. Put a gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and start it. Record the reading, then pull and plug the vacuum hose and record that reading. Shut down and see if pressure holds.

Do a search for "stalling problem". A wealth of information awaits you.
    Last edited by SGT.BATGUANO : 09/08/2003 at 04:13 PM

More RPM problems

I seem to be having idling problems as many of you. The car does not shut down completely but the RPMs go up and down when I am about to shut the engine down and park. It seems to run better when the A/C is on. I usually shut the A/C down before turning the engine off, right after I turn the A/C off is when I notice the RPMs going up and down.

I changed the gas filter and tried using premium gas but it doesn't help. I checked the MAS plug, since I recently changed the bulbs, and it was also fine.

I unplugged the MAS and ran the engine to see what happens and now is WORSE because the check engine light went on. I put the plug back but the check engine light remains ON.

How do I get the Check Engine light back OFF? Is it possible that I burned a fuse??

Please help?

Read the post on check engine light and reset the computer. The light is gone

Since the idling problem is not that severe, it doen't do it all the time. I am going to try with a fuel additive and premium gas.

I'll let you all know if this works.