Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calmini lift w/ grinding noise problem

Calmini lift w/ grinding noise problem

I just had the Calmini lift installed and have been getting a grinding noise. CV boots wereok but now the right one is has a torn boot. However, the shop that did the instal does not think it was the CV or U joint and wants to replace part of the drive shaft w/ a shaft from a Wrangler that happens to be the right size and will make the necessary height adjustment...they think. This is the first VX they have worked on and Calmini says they are unfamiliar w/ this occurence so they are kind of guessing as to this fix. I was hoping someone here would have info on this noise and may have a solution. Any help would be appreciated!

Might help narrow it down if you can give more info. Does the grinding happen all the time, only when in motion, only during acceleration, only when turning...? Does the noise sound like it is coming fron the front, rear...? What does the grinding sound like? Have you checked to make sure the drive shafts are not rubbing the cross members or skid plates (if you have them)? Have you checked the brakes...the back plate may have gotten bent during the install? Did you change tire/wheel size at the same time? They could be rubbing the wheel wells.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.

Yup Billy...

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    They could be rubbing the wheel wells.
    ....thats where I'd look first.

BTW..the torn CV boot is normal...its been sitting at one angle for years...

...now its tweaked!

Same happened to me

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

most of the noise i have been getting hasn't started until i get up around 50 mph. it starts as a low pitched rubbing/grinding noise then builds in intensity. when i let off the pedal, it will stop but as i accelerate again and maybe gain another 5 - 10 mph, it will start again. it has gotten to where the floorboard will vibrate, which is how i first noticed it, with the sterreo up i did not hear it but turned it down after i felt the vibe. to me it sounded like it was coming from the front, but the tech at my shop said it is coming from the drive shaft because of the new angles.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Hi Drover....

Did you change rims and tires when you lifted ...if so...what sizes?
    If you did change ...did you do any cladding trimming?

Just wondering if "at speed"....downforce is causing tires to rub...

jo

On my way home from Moab I started getting some funny noises/ vibrations that I didn't get before Ldub lifted my VX in the parking lot of the Red Rock Inn. It was a super windy day during the drive and I got out and poked around to try and find the source of the noise. Mine ended up being the rear plastic inner fenders vibrating in the wind. The thing I'm talking about is actually the plastic, or fiberboard, "skirt" that is attached to the inner fender itself and hangs straight down. It was vibrating like crazy in the wind. Yours sounds a little more serious, but it might not hurt to take a look.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I probably sound like a broken record about now but ...

Vibration during acceleration usually means U-joint problem. Vibration or clicking during deceleration usually means inner CV problem. Vibration during turn usually means outer CV problem.

Unless your tires are rubbing the cladding - then of course I defer to the expertise above.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    just my 2 cents for anyone having grinding sounds while accelerating...

if the VX has less than a 1% rake from the rear to the front it will cause drive axle problems....so try lowering your front end a few twists....you wont have as much lift but it also wont break your ride....

i know a few others have had grinding problems before and it has turned out being that the front of the VX is taller than the rear...causing a bad angle for the drive axle....

just a thought...

The problem appears to be solved now...thanks for all the input. the problem did seem to be related to the angle to the rear drive axle. the shop installed a terraflex shaft in one of the sections that helped it adjust more properly and the noise is eliminated. i have noticed a tiny bit of vibration but if i had not been looking for it, i would not have noticed it all. the funny thing is when they called calmini about it at first, they denied knowing anything about the problem, the next time i brought it in the person they talked to said this happens with every lift. so if anyone is thinking about doing a calmini lift, they might want to look into getting a terraflex shaft to go along with it.
    again, thanks for all the input.

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Drover, not sure your still on here, but wondering if this teraflex shaft is for a wrangler and just happens to fit ours?? I want to have a tad more info before I go into a shop, I am going bat&^% crazy listening to the noise which sounds just like yours.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Stir stir stir....

So, aside from getting a Calmini lift kit, you have to drop, say, another $350 - $400 on top for the Teraflex? Eek! Thinking the DIY spring swap/torsion crank would be the determining factor there.

Just on the outside looking in. Stock lift urban mall crawler here.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I have had the same problem, it happening because you drive shaft have different angle than stock now, and U joint working in different angle too!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Stir stir stir....

So, aside from getting a Calmini lift kit, you have to drop, say, another $350 - $400 on top for the Teraflex? Eek! Thinking the DIY spring swap/torsion crank would be the determining factor there.

Just on the outside looking in. Stock lift urban mall crawler here.
    yeah, i do have just the rear 912's and t bars cranked, but thought if the teraflex helped, I will do anything to get rid of that noise!

Does anyone know if changing the pinion angle would help ease the stress on U-joints? That would be an easier/cheaper fix than trying to buy a whole new drive shaft.

This question comes with a bit of a warning, though. I thought that I had heard of a member, or two, changing their pinion angles and having problems. I'm specifically thinking of Bimati, but that may have been issues with his front half shafts after his lift. Anyone.....anyone.....? My rusty steel trap of a mind is failing me.

Changing the pinion angle WILL help some...there are a few ways to do this...

I had issues with my rear slip yoke in the driveline...the splines do wear out and then you have some play in the rear driveline....I am now on my 3RD rear driveline....and have only had one U-Joint wear out....

Keep in mind that I have been running a BIG lift for 9+ years and have 250,000+ miles...

Check your slip yoke and lube your shaft often....