Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My first bike...

My first bike...

Hey all, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a motorcycle this summer but I don't even know where to start looking. Since this is my first bike, I don't want anything too expensive or high maintenance, but (as a VX owner of course) I'm not interested in something boring or run of the mill. My neighbor is a motorcycle mechanic, so I'll have someone to go to with all my maintenance related questions. I really like all different types, sportbikes, cruisers, etc. but since I want to be able to take it to work on warm, dry days (yeah I know, all 5 of them in Seattle) I'm thinking something where you sit a little more upright might be most appropriate - my commute is close to 50 miles each way!! Of course, I'd also like something I can cruise around on on the weekends and maybe let the wife come along (if she's not driving me too crazy haha). I love the styling of the Ducati's, although I hear they're very expensive to maintain. I've also been looking at Buell's which look pretty nice - in fact the "Blast" is only about $5k and might make a great starter bike. What do you guys think? What are some uniquely styled bikes out there that I might like? Any general advise on buying/riding?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske View Post
    I love the styling of the Ducati's, although I hear they're very expensive to maintain.
    Bingo. Awesome bikes though. I couldn't be happier with my Monster.

My first bike was a Suzuki SV-650S. Not too upright, but not at all a leaner. Very nimble and dependable. They are rated very high for beginners bikes. The 650 (as opposed to the 650S) model kinda resembles a Ducati in the front, so take a look at those. Not a lot of back seat, but enough for the occasional double date...depending on the size of the date.

I actually like the the looks of the Buell Streetfighter, and it was a more upright position, but it has a short wheel base and felt uncomfortable to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blast is less than 500cc, right?
    - you have to know what it is to know what it is -

whatever you do Kyle, be safe
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Buell Blast is a 500cc I was going to get one a few years ago... They look(ed) like a lot of fun... But they're tiny... not just in CCs in actual size.

SV650 would be an excellent choice, But it really depends on what you'd like to do. BMW GS650 are affordable on the used market, and a great upright bike.

I personally drive a Vespa as my DD I sit upright and feet forward... It's just a fun little around towner and for my 3 mile commute to work.

))) I used to have a husqvarna TE570 (((

don't recommend it for street use.

I've recently been looking at motorcycles too. I currently own a 1985 300cc Suzuki that has been "chopped" and now looks like a little cafe raceer. It's my first bike and it has been a ton of fun but it is starting to experience some electrical problems. If you're really looking for a cheap first bike I would hit Cycle Trader and buy something slightly used. That way it will already be broken in and if you don't pay too much for it you won't worry about laying it down.

Right now I've taken a liking to the "naked bikes" and I have been looking at the Ducati Monster 696, the Triumph Triple Street, and the Aprilla Shiver 750. All of them are under $9000 new and they are all just sexy as all-get-out.

My biggest piece of advice is to take a motorcycle riding course. They usually aren't that expensive, give you tons of confidence on the bike, usually allow you to take the licensing test right there instead of at the DMV, and give you a break on your insurance.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

A lot of good advice, particularly about taking lessons, it will keep you safe but also raise your confidence to go for a bigger bike which believe me is always a goodthing. I know people who don't ride won't see the sense in that but I've been riding 20+ years and big is safest as you get more control, better brakes etc, etc. The other factor is your weight and height, the Monster looks a good bike but is tiny as is the Buell so if your tall you look daft. If you're looking budget you might want to go Buell (if it's a good size) as it could be cheapest to run. Anything Italian will not be reliable particularly in Seattle, rain kills them. Best jap I'd say Honda, best european I'd say BMW you can pick up old ones quite cheap but the 1100s are heavy. I'd stay away from Jap pocket rockets like Yam R6's if you want to live long.

I currently have a Yamaha MT-01 which is the best bike I've ridden, 1700cc of naked street sports bike, but sadly not available in the US

Col

Long time no post here, but I thought I would chime in since I sold my VX some time ago to get in to motorcycles.

First thing I would do, as was mentioned earlier, is take the motorcycle beginners training course. I had never ridden a motorcycle before taking the course, and right away you get right in to it. I think everyone wanting a bike should take it to get a good feel of what you're getting yourself in to. Here is a listing of some in Seattle:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motoschools.html

Another training school option is through Harley Davidson. You can check online or with a dealer to find the courses offered. I believe they use the Buell Blast in their classes, so you can check those out as well. Also mentioned before, they are small... 500cc's is fine for a beginners bike, but if it doesn't fit you then forget about it. I rode a tiny Suzuki 250cc cruizer in class, and it was small... but for class it was fine.

AFTER the class is when I would start looking for something to buy. It doesn't hurt to look around right now if you are serious about it, but I wouldn't buy anything until after passing the class. Think of it as a gift to yourself!!! Definitely look at a used bike. You won't feel as guilty about dropping something you know has been used and that you didn't pay retail for.

One thing I will say... it is discussed a TON on beginner riding forums and such, but I wouldn't recommend the Suzuki SV-650 (and definitely not the SV-650S) as a first bike... especially if you've never been on a bike before. Just because you have some time in the saddle in the class (assuming you take it), you're riding in a controlled, managed environment on little 250cc machines... and even those will get up and go when you jump on it (they will ask you to hit 40mph on the course, and it feels fast when you do it!). As soon as you get out of the class and look at bikes, you have no idea what they can do, and most will do things the little 250's can't even come close to doing. My first bike was a KTM 640cc single (Duke II), which was a little above my abilities, but it was ok... it last 6 months before I bought an 800cc cruizer. Of course, we don't know how mature you are when it comes to handling the power, or how quick you can think when manuvering... so there is a chance you could handle the SV-650 just fine.

The Ninja 500 is usually thought of highly as a beginner bike (and beyond, really). It is pretty sporty, but power is manageable around town, and it will get up and go when needed. There are a lot of nice bikes out there...

By the way, I now ride a Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans.

Adam
    Last edited by Dallas4u : 06/30/2008 at 09:21 AM

Cool

I think we are going to see more and more bikes hitting the streets as gas prices rise. I have been thinking about it also. I would really like an old 1984 Suzuki Katana that I could rat out....

My problem with bikes is the danger factor. Bikes go down, period, the end. Every single person I know who has been on a 2 wheeled vehicle has wrecked at least once. Half of those people seriously injured, the other half, lucky.

Bart

My 50 cents

First, think about what you want from your motorcycle, i.e. cruising, sport, comfort, distance, etc. Don't just go and buy a bike you think looks cool. Once you get all those in your head, THEN go looking for a bike. Find a few that would really meet your needs. Once you do that, then you should buy the bike that best suits your visual tastes.

I bought a 2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Dual sport (has since been sold), and it was the perfect bike for my needs and I really liked the styling.

Good luck.. be safe... learn to ride.

Yeah, I'm like Bart. I think I want a bike, but the safety factor is keeping me from it. I think I'll take Dallas's advice and take a bike course just to see if that's what I really want as my everyday transportation.
    Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    Are there any Dallas area VXers who want to take a motocycle course with me?
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I still remember my first "bike"...

...it was a gold Scwinn Stingray with a banana seat and high rise handle bars! It was sweet!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Billy, I'm sure your 'bikes' these days cost as much as some decent used motorcycles out there! Hell, the downhill Specialized I used to have cost about as much as my first motorcycle!

I've spent some time on BeginnerBikes.org in the past... nice forum to check out if interested in getting in to (or back in to) motorcycles:

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/

This may be the perfect blend between bike and sports car...I saw one downtown last year...I think they are sweet...different from the norm, thats for sure...

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

Wow!
    I was looking to get a bike too.
    I have had many in the past, dirt and steet, 2 and 4 stokes. Now alot of these bikes go for big dollars, VINTAGE????????
    I have a short commute, so a scooter would suit me well, BUT they cost as much as a BIG BOY bike
    A used Honda Shadow, Suzuki Intruder, or a Yamaha Virago, can be had in my price range.
    For a first bike the Honda Rebel is nice, but I can find a Shadow for the same amount.
    Just missed out on a beautiful 750 Intruder w/ saddle bags and windscreen for $1200. He had 50 callers on the first day, of his post
    Last edited by Bulldoggie : 06/30/2008 at 06:27 PM
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

Quote Originally Posted by ojmagg View Post
    This may be the perfect blend between bike and sports car...I saw one downtown last year...I think they are sweet...different from the norm, thats for sure...

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

I've seen them as well! In fact, I saw one in NE Portland last week... first time ever in person. Pretty sweet! If you have a VX and want to stay different, this is definitely a way to go... but I gotta tell ya. $15k is pretty pricey, maybe not for something of this nature, but it's out of my price range... for now.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...est-61047.html