Thread: HID review

HID review

I recently installed a bi-xenon (high/low beam) HID H4 conversion kit into the VX. I purchased it online through ebay for $135 shipped with the 5000K bulbs.
    Direct link to same kit:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-50...mZ150265053002

Just a review...everything arrived quickly and he's a U.S. seller (I'm sure everything comes from China) and everything appeared to be decent quality. I have a very expensive set of slim digital HID's on my Aprilia from www.xtralights.com and at $500 a pair, I have first hand experience with the really quality stuff.

With that said, the installation was a breeze, no splicing whatsoever. Just plug and play with a positive/ground wire going to the battery terminals. The only issue I had was the crimps on the connectors for the positive power wire. It's a two-wire setup with two 15A fuses that merge back into one connector. Two of the crimps at either fuse were less than adequate and the crimp at the battery terminal connector was also less than adequate. Five minutes with a crimper solved the issue which had one light going out every time you hit a bump. When I first installed them, both bulbs fired right up and I let them burn in for ten minutes.

My only other caveat with the kit is the color temperature. I ordered 5K (they didn't have the 4300K bulbs) and they're pretty much 6K bulbs (what I have in my Aprilia) and much more blue than the 4300 OEM bulbs in my Evo. I also noted the HIDS make the crazed (micro cracks) in the headlight plastic stand out more so than normal bulbs. Time to get the 2000 grit sandpaper out again!

Will report back with time to see how the relay holds up. It's noisy. Clicking on the high beams, you can hear it inside the cabin.
    2006 FX35
    99VX (Sold)
    95RX7 500rwhp (Sold)
    2005 Evo VIII SSL (Sold)
    2004 Aprilia RSV-R Factory-lots o mods
    www.michelfortier.com

wow, you can hear the relay for your headlights inside the cabin, and the vx is already pretty loud, that must be weird
    I'd actually be really interested in seeing how OTHER people like your HID's. Meaning, are they blinding people? I've read that b/c "normal" headlamps weren't made for HID's that the reflectors inside the lamps aren't the best fit at reflecting the light so it doesn't blind people. I think I'd be phobic about blinding everyone when I drive at night and having a bunch of pissed people wanting to knock my block off, especially driving a vehicle as easy to recognize as ours!
    glad the installation went well, helps that you had prior experience, good luck and hope they remain problem-free for you

yeah its a pretty loud click, as it controls the shielding which moves back and forth. I was worried about other drivers too but the shield limits the light to the top half of the reflector which points the light down. I wanted to purchase the 55w setup but was worried it would be too bright. The 35w kit doesnt appear to be too bright IMHO.

I know the reflectors on my Aprilia(motorcycle) are larger than the VX reflector and they are bright but anything to keep me alive and cars from cutting me off.

Insert 2 cents

Joe, I have the HID's supplied by http://www.xenonrider.com that LittleBeast talked about and have not had a problem with my lights and oncoming venicles, and I drive with the low beams on and the Hella Micro DE,s that have also been converted to HID's. Now, I haven't been on a narrow 2 lane dark road at O dark 30, but it's all about aiming. And the headlights on the VX are pretty simple to raise or lower.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.