Thread: Front Cladding "Puncture"

Front Cladding "Puncture"

I have a puncture in my lower front cladding where the P.O. must have “speared” something.

I realize that a VX Concepts front skid plate would cover this area nicely and I would do anything short of a federal crime to buy one…

I also have downloaded the specs of the full/front belly skid plate that Kenny had fab’ed (awesome work, BTW), and snowtrooper1966’s option, and those are other options. http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ght=skid+plate
    I just don’t have a good fabrication shop here.

Besides those options, which I consider ranked in order, has anyone ever done a cladding patch? That particular crook in the front cladding is prettey rigid, would it take and hold some form of bondo with a touch-up painting?

I realize that it’s not that bad of a deal but I zone-in on the defect everytime a gaze lovingly at the VX. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    You may still be able to buy Naoki's version of the front skid plate. Different materials but excellent workmanship. Costly coming from Japan but worth it.

Naoki page
    http://homepage3.nifty.com/vehi/shop...shopping15.htm

Dutchie is the VX site member who was the contact with Naoki
    Last edited by Anita : 07/13/2008 at 08:39 PM
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Or you can just "chop" it off!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

You can have a local body show match the cladding color with a flat paint then use some light filler. You would be surprised how well that works. It looks like a fairly small area so it wouldn’t take much.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I pierced my cladding in the rear - end of a ladder caught it. I carefully taped off the punctures (they were long cuts) and applied black caulk I purchased at Home Depot. It's not perfect but not as noticeable as the holes were. I'll eventually buy a new rear bumper cladding piece. They are still available, as is the front through St. Charles Isuzu and that may be a better option for you (it's not as expnsive as you think - actually it's not too far off from the cost of a skid plate with shipping as shipping is free from St. Charles).

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Bren,

I did a repair on my cladding with PC-7. It's a 2 part epoxy available from True Value. The color seemed to be a good match. My repair was in a hidden area so (reattaching a tab that I broke off during the hitch install). This stuff makes a pretty solid fill and can be sanded but best of all, it's easy to work with (stays where you put it). I've used it to repair body panels, fiberglass, ceramic, etc.

They make PC-11 as well but that's for marine applications & is a blue-ish white color.

If you want to try it & can't find it, let me know & I'll send you some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Thanks, Tom,
    I will try the product after I "set" the edges straight and razor blade off the extruding excess.

Anita, I tried to IM Dutchie; nothin' back yet. Those faux skidplates look nice Now if they only had a PayPal ordering pan. I couldn'y figure out how to order; once you get off the goodies pages it's all in Japanese. I like some of the other products. I could go poor ordering from them if I could figure out how.

I also PM'd him, sure like the CF half moon and the B pillar's
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Since Dutchie no longer owns a VX I am doubting he will check the site anytime soon. Better to email him. His email is listed on his profile. I'd ask Serton (Dutchie) if he is not in contact with Naoki presently, if there is anyone else who can help.

Anita, I tried email first and it bounced so I hope someone else steps forward

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    Anita, I tried email first and it bounced so I hope someone else steps forward
    Oopsie... I stand corrected. Last time Serton checked in was in June so hopefully he'll stop by.

Anyone out there with contacts to Naoki??