Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

Check Tranny light

Looks like I'm having the same problem.. Just drove cross country about 7 weeks ago and the Check Transmission light started blinking in Iowa after I dropped in a quart of oil. Had a local mechanic check the codes and there was nothing mentioned for the Transmission so he reset them and I drove another 1500 miles with no reoccurence.

But then a couple of weeks ago, the damn light started blinking again.. Reset the computer and it stopped blinking until last weekend. So now I'm starting to get a bit worried.

I've only put 15K on the vehicle since I bought it 3 years ago, and had ALL the fluids replaced 2 summers ago, including tranny and differentials. So I have a hard time believing that I'm running low since I'm not seeing any leaks.

As I recall, it's a major hassle to replace the tranny fluid, let alone replace the filter, but might have to do it.

Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    As I recall, it's a major hassle to replace the tranny fluid, let alone replace the filter, but might have to do it.
    IMO, it is really not that hard to do. That said, it does take the proper know how, and that is why I think you should definitely, at very least, check your trans fluid level using the instructions posted earlier in this thread. Reason being, is that it is very possible that the mech who did your fluid change did not have the aforementioned instructions, and may have not filled your trans with enough fluid. Its very easy to not fill the VX trans properly. Does your VX shift hard/clunk between gears?

Also, imo, simply draining and refilling the trans fluid is not enough. You have to drop the pan and replace the filter. If this has never been done on your VX, it is very possible that your filter is dirty and clogging, and this may cause your check trans light to blink.

Changing the fluid AND filter is a chore, and will take you some time (like a whole Saturday afternoon), but it is really not hard. Its dirty, messy and hot, but not hard. And given the money you will save doing it yourself, it is rather worth it, imo.

Bart