Thread: Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

My tranny has a very, very, very slow leak. It is one of those leaks that is so slow it does not drip on the ground, but just sort of dirties up the pan of the tranny. So anyway, as I was returning home from a race trip in Sierra Vista, Az. my check engine light came on simotaniously with a flashing check trans light The trans was shifting good and not slipping or making any strange noises so I drove it the rest of the 50 miles home while paying close attension for any slipage or noises. Today I drained the pan and found it was 1 quart low. So the tranny got filled with Valvaline max life (75,000 mile) ATF plus one quart of their max life w/stop leak (we will see if that helps). Disconnected the battery and reset the computer. All is good in VX land!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 07/14/2008 at 09:34 AM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well, apparently the cure wasn't that simple. Two days later both lights back on! No slippage, no harsh shifts, no strange noises...just the CEL and a flashing Check Trans light! All dash lights working normal. So I guess tomorrow I will head to the Auto Zone and get the codes read. Has anyone else experienced this?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    DANG...I had my fingers crossed for ya & everything...

When I read this, I was hoping that was going to be that, & you & your VX lived happily ever after.

Keep us posted with what you find...hope it's simple & cheap.

The code thrown is P1870 (transmission component slipping). Probable causes...low trans. fluid level or failed trans. component. I guess I'll check the fluid level. Maybe there was some air in the system when I filled it. If not...??????????

Billy boy, when was the last time you did a full tranny filter and fluid change?

When you checked your fluid, did it seem clean or burnt? I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, especially it has been a while. You could see then if your magnet has a lot of metal shavings on it or not, which would give you a good indication if there is a bigger problem. Where is it leaking from? Around the gasket?

You have a lot of miles on your VX, right?

Bart

It was just changed 115000 "babied" miles ago! Should be okay don't you think?

But , yea that will probably be on my list for the weekend. Like I said though, no strange sounds, smells, rough shifting or noticable slipping.

Billy, are you saying you have never serviced your tranny?

Bart

I thought about it a couple times...does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I thought about it a couple times...does that count?
    I dunno Billy. The trans is not that hard to maintain. Its a messy pain in the nuts, but if you have the right tools and a helper, its not so bad, just a little time consuming.

Bart

Question

Is everything still fine? cuz my VX Tranny light just turn on flashing a few days ago. I was heading to my buddies house 150 miles from me and i was 50 miles to his house when the light started flashing, so i stopped right there and got it towed to his house and is there right now. The VX feels great and runs and sounds light a champ. the next morning i added some fluid cuz it also has a small tiny leak and rebooted the VX Computer and test drove it and felt really good like it had no prblem and no light came back on. But again it's still in my buddies house and i have not been able to test drive it more and see if it the light comes back on. I did a tranny fluid flush and filter change like maybe 6,000 miles ago, do you guys think i should change it again incase if the shop i took it did a poor job or didn't really change my filter?

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

My light comes on every once and a while. My code is a "slipage" code so I probably have some worn cluthes in there. Still shifts smooth and no foreign noises.
    Have you had the code read yet?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    I did a tranny fluid flush and filter change like maybe 6,000 miles ago, do you guys think i should change it again incase if the shop i took it did a poor job or didn't really change my filter?
    I would check the fluid level myself...the RIGHT way.

No i have not yet, it's still 2 hours from my house won't be able to pick her up till this coming weekend. Thanx Ldub, I have always tried to do the change my self but ever time i try to add more fluid, after like 5 min's running i pour some in and barley get 1/5 of a Qt and the fluids starts coming out and more then i put in cuz the old stuff starts to pour out, and i'm forced to plug it and stop with the process, i have to say this is the 1 thing that drives me nuts about the VX. Can you guys give some tips on how this will work and if starets coming out will it drain all of it and just the extra fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieCosta567 View Post
    No i have not yet, it's still 2 hours from my house won't be able to pick her up till this coming weekend. Thanx Ldub, I have always tried to do the change my self but ever time i try to add more fluid, after like 5 min's running i pour some in and barley get 1/5 of a Qt and the fluids starts coming out and more then i put in cuz the old stuff starts to pour out, and i'm forced to plug it and stop with the process, i have to say this is the 1 thing that drives me nuts about the VX. Can you guys give some tips on how this will work and if starets coming out will it drain all of it and just the extra fluid?
    If you're following the instructions posted (getting it up to the proper temp., cycling it through the gears, being on level ground, etc), & opening the correct plug (upper fill/check plug), then anything coming out is overfill, & shouldn't be in there anyway.
    Look at what is said in the posted instructions (right below where it says "DO NOT OVERFILL") about too much fluid in the system...
    If you don't have a thermometer (cheap @ Harbor Freight) lay your hand on the bottom of the pan, it should be warm to the touch, (a bit above body temp) not cool, & not so hot that you can't leave your hand on it.