Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

Low tranny fluid=flashing check trans light!

My tranny has a very, very, very slow leak. It is one of those leaks that is so slow it does not drip on the ground, but just sort of dirties up the pan of the tranny. So anyway, as I was returning home from a race trip in Sierra Vista, Az. my check engine light came on simotaniously with a flashing check trans light The trans was shifting good and not slipping or making any strange noises so I drove it the rest of the 50 miles home while paying close attension for any slipage or noises. Today I drained the pan and found it was 1 quart low. So the tranny got filled with Valvaline max life (75,000 mile) ATF plus one quart of their max life w/stop leak (we will see if that helps). Disconnected the battery and reset the computer. All is good in VX land!
    Last edited by Triathlete : 07/14/2008 at 09:34 AM
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Well, apparently the cure wasn't that simple. Two days later both lights back on! No slippage, no harsh shifts, no strange noises...just the CEL and a flashing Check Trans light! All dash lights working normal. So I guess tomorrow I will head to the Auto Zone and get the codes read. Has anyone else experienced this?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    DANG...I had my fingers crossed for ya & everything...

When I read this, I was hoping that was going to be that, & you & your VX lived happily ever after.

Keep us posted with what you find...hope it's simple & cheap.

The code thrown is P1870 (transmission component slipping). Probable causes...low trans. fluid level or failed trans. component. I guess I'll check the fluid level. Maybe there was some air in the system when I filled it. If not...??????????

Billy boy, when was the last time you did a full tranny filter and fluid change?

When you checked your fluid, did it seem clean or burnt? I would drop the pan and change the filter and fluid, especially it has been a while. You could see then if your magnet has a lot of metal shavings on it or not, which would give you a good indication if there is a bigger problem. Where is it leaking from? Around the gasket?

You have a lot of miles on your VX, right?

Bart

It was just changed 115000 "babied" miles ago! Should be okay don't you think?

But , yea that will probably be on my list for the weekend. Like I said though, no strange sounds, smells, rough shifting or noticable slipping.

Billy, are you saying you have never serviced your tranny?

Bart

I thought about it a couple times...does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete View Post
    I thought about it a couple times...does that count?
    I dunno Billy. The trans is not that hard to maintain. Its a messy pain in the nuts, but if you have the right tools and a helper, its not so bad, just a little time consuming.

Bart

I think my VX's computer is either retarded or mute or dead, I have never thrown any codes or lights ever. But I was a quart low and could feel my trans slipping and still no light. We even checked for codes with James' scanner on the Mammoth trip and got nothing. It seriously bothers me how many people on the forums have fully functional sensing/reporting systems while mine remains silent. Is there anything that could be disconnected somewhere?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    I think my VX's computer is either retarded or mute or dead, I have never thrown any codes or lights ever. But I was a quart low and could feel my trans slipping and still no light. We even checked for codes with James' scanner on the Mammoth trip and got nothing. It seriously bothers me how many people on the forums have fully functional sensing/reporting systems while mine remains silent. Is there anything that could be disconnected somewhere?
    Well, I dunno. When I bought my VX, I had a problem with the trans right away. The symptoms were like the mode switch problem, but without any lights on the dash. HARD VIOLENT gear slamming and slipping. I did a full trans service and voila! Problem gone.

What I really don't get, is that the original owner sold me the VX when it had just under 27,000 miles on it. When I drained the tranny the first time the fluid was BLACK, and smelled like burnt cookies. Then, when we I did my trans with Clint last winter, after about 35k more miles, the fluid wasn't so bad. Maybe the synthetic tranny fluid is in fact that good?!!?

Anyway, what I am saying, is that they don't call dash indicators "idiot lights" for no reason. It seems that until you actually have a catastrophic breakdown, the lights don't come on (sorry Billy).

That's how it was in my Xterra. Not a single light illuminated in the dash until I threw a rod, and oil and smoke started spewing out the bottom of the engine bay, then EVERYTHING thurned on.

Let me know when you want to change your fluid and filter. I'd be glad to help. We need to get a maintenance meet scheduled for you and Clint.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Anyway, what I am saying, is that they don't call dash indicators "idiot lights" for no reason. It seems that until you actually have a catastrophic breakdown, the lights don't come on (sorry Billy).
    Thats alright....I've never claimed to be the smartest guy in the world!

Quick?????
    Is there a gasket on the main pan or just the make-a-gasket type stuff? If the later, what works best?

Thats alright....I've never claimed to be the smartest guy in the world!
    Billy, sorry about the idiot light comment, I didn't mean it that way, what I meant was, "sorry Billy, your light may be indicating that you have a catastrophic tranny problem", not, "Billy, you are an idiot!"

Bart

Quick?????
    Is there a gasket on the main pan or just the make-a-gasket type stuff? If the later, what works best?
    Autozone carrys a replacement tranny filter for our VXes. The filter comes with a cork gasket. I have been using these type of gaskets with my VX since my first tranny service with no problem. If you have never done a tranny service, it makes me wonder if the filter is clogged and that is why your indicator is lit.

Go buy the filter today. Should be around $35-$40. Take the gasket out and compress it between 2 heavy books. This will get the folds out and be ready for you by Saturday morning. It will be WAY easier to install without the folds. If you really have never done your trans, you might want to pick up a hard plastic scraper too. When we did Clint's tranny, his original gasket was broasted onto the pan and housing pretty bad. Yours will likely have this issue also, in which case you will spend some time scraping off the old gasket.

Now, I know I have and several others on here have spelled out the whole tranny fluid and filter change procedure in detail. But, I would be more than happy to spell it out again. I've done mine twice now, and I feel really comfortable and confident about doing it now. Just say the word.

Bart