Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Holy Mud.

Thumbs down Holy Mud.

First off, I just want to say thanks to Scott for making and maintaining this forum. Without it, I would not have met my Reno boys, and I quite honestly don't know who else I would have called, except maybe a tow truck, which would have probably cost me a few stacks at least.

Now, onto the fun. At the end of our street, is a dirt road, which leads down a small hill to a shallow (in places) drainage canal. I wanted to cross this little waterway to get to the dirt road behind it, which leads off into the foothills. There is another way to get to said dirt road, but it is kind of outta the way. So I drove along the canal until I found a suitable crossing spot, and I took it. Everything was great until I reached the other side which was basically a freakin sink hole of quicksand. As soon as I got across I was stuck. This is the kind of mud that when you stand on it you will sink in up to your knees in seconds. The VX is slightly heavier than me, and so this is what happened.

My front right tire was all but completely covered. I knew I wasn't getting out of this mess alone.

So I called Clint who thankfully lives only one exit away. And he came right away. Thanks again, dude.

I broke out the tow strap and got unstuck rather quickly with Clint's VX pulling.

After I got out and back on flat road, I felt the wobble. There was so much mud packed into my wheels that my VX was riding incredibly off balance. I went to the car wash and pressure cleaned as much of it out as I could, but I think I am going to need to take all my wheels off one at a time and really get in there, which sucks, but I gotta do it.

Anyway, stay away from those tar pits! And thanks again, Clint for the rescue.

Bart

WTH! How did you get so stuck in the mub and stay so clean.
    Do you have some kind of mud retardant paint you need to tell us about.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

VX BROS R U L E ! !

Not a problem homie. Thats what friends are for, especially when friends have a VX.

I wanted to go explore with you some more but as noisy as my front end is I hate to push my luck.

Now that's what I call love!!!
    Scott / moncha.com

good story! being rescued by VX buds is the best!.. not that ive ever gotten overzealous and pushed the VX to the point of getting stuck...

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Nice work guy!

But how did Clint keep so clean and un-stuck getting to the other side of the drainage?!

First off, let me just say that this was the first mud hole I have found in Reno. It totally caught me by surprise. Reno is 99% dry, rocky, dusty, and dirty. So this mud was unexpected, to say the least. We had some rain in the last 2 days, and that probably did me in. That little spot is where the mountain run off goes, and I guess it was just water logged and super deep. As soon as I was in it, I didn't bother too much trying to get unstuck myself. I gave it a couple goes, but all that accomplished is sinking deeper. So I called Clint.

Now I am riding incredibly off balance. Tonight when I get home I am going to NEED to remove each wheel and clean everything up as best I can. I'm worried my pads and rotors are gonna be trashed after this.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I wanted to go explore with you some more but as noisy as my front end is I hate to push my luck.
    That trail goes all the way back into Storey Co. We took it all the way to Lockwood! I think with my GPS we could find the Petroglyphs that way with no problem. There is a pretty deep network of trails back there and tons of spots to shoot and camp close by.

Bart

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Now I am riding incredibly off balance. Tonight when I get home I am going to NEED to remove each wheel and clean everything up as best I can. I'm worried my pads and rotors are gonna be trashed after this.

Bart

Your discs & pads should be fine, but you might want to think about re-packing the front bearings...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Your discs & pads should be fine, but you might want to think about re-packing the front bearings...
    Hmm, yeah. Maybe I should. From looking at my photos, do you think my bearings could have gotten flooded with mud?

Good thinking, Dubster.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Hmm, yeah. Maybe I should. From looking at my photos, do you think my bearings could have gotten flooded with mud?

Good thinking, Dubster.

Bart
    It's possible, I've found red muck inside my hubs after splashing through 3-4" deep puddles up in northern MN. All the dirt up there was red due to the high iron content of the soil, so there was no doubt where it came from.

Oh, My VX is dirty. I just have yet to get pics. I actually haven’t washed the VX since around April. We just got some rain so it looked clean. Cari was playing in the surrounding puddles in her Jeep while we got Bart out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    VX BROS R U L E ! !
    What he said!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Awesome story!