Thread: Wheel recommendation

Wheel recommendation

My OEM 18s on my VX are shedding chrome like crazy. I was hoping that my search would turn up a host of pics that other members have purchased to replace the OEMs but no such luck. I was hoping to find something with the same config as the OEMs but under $200/each. Your recommendations and suggestions are most appreciated.
    Scott

well, I run the MKW's, really happy with their workmanship. They dropped my model of course, but they still have a bunch more that would work.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I was under the impression you could imply have the wheels rechromed, I may be wrong but if not, that would be the easiest solution

I'd rather not have more experience with chrome. Living in New England with salt use in the winter just breaks them down quick.

well, you could run 2 sets, pretty ones in the summer and the OEM's in the winter with a good winter tire. I took one of my OEM,s had the peeling chrome sand blasted off and then powder coated with a chrome like finish so that I would have a full size spare.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    well, you could run 2 sets, pretty ones in the summer and the OEM's in the winter with a good winter tire. I took one of my OEM,s had the peeling chrome sand blasted off and then powder coated with a chrome like finish so that I would have a full size spare.
    Not a bad idea. If I could find an operation that performed such functions I'd blast all the chrome off and powder coat them and I wouldn't need a second set.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    I'd rather not have more experience with chrome. Living in New England with salt use in the winter just breaks them down quick.
    And chrome add a small bit of weight. The most simple and cheapest way to go would probably to have them High polished by a local chroming shop. I had it done to my RX8 wheels and they look like they are chromed except there is no chrome just high polished shine that I can make look even better with some TLC, here is a pic of the high polished wheels, cost me around $300 to have all 4 done here locally:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    And chrome add a small bit of weight. The most simple and cheapest way to go would probably to have them High polished by a local chroming shop. I had it done to my RX8 wheels and they look like they are chromed except there is no chrome just high polished shine that I can make look even better with some TLC, here is a pic of the high polished wheels, cost me around $300 to have all 4 done here locally:
    VERY nice! I'll try to find such a shop here on Cape Cod. Thanks!

Wheel Recommendation

I had my oem wheels replaced when i got my car as all the chrome was coming off. I went with American Racing wheels. The model is Fuel. i got 18 inch again, but this really limits your tire choices. you can scale down to a 16 inch wheel and really open up your tire choices. wish i knew that i could scale down when i got my new wheels because i would have gone to 16 inch. anyway, i do have a pic of my VX with the new wheels on them

Hope it helps.
    James

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    My OEM 18s on my VX are shedding chrome like crazy. I was hoping that my search would turn up a host of pics that other members have purchased to replace the OEMs but no such luck. I was hoping to find something with the same config as the OEMs but under $200/each. Your recommendations and suggestions are most appreciated.
    Blast and Powder Coat your OEM's, Prices very $50-$100 each.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Blast and Powder Coat your OEM's, Prices very $50-$100 each.
    OK...Just can't find someone nearby that can do it for me. Clearly the opinion of the list.

Thanks for the post.

I went with black wheels... Less maintenance and I can sharpie and scars (thanks Larry )

The beat goes on...

Found a chroming shop. The plan was to condition the wheel and powder coat. Cost $100/wheel + fees for tire removal, replacement and balancing. Even the guy at the shop thought it would probably work out to be better just to buy new since Town Fair Tires will do all the labor for no charge. So back at it again, searching for a replacement wheel for my 18' OEMs. New ones will not have chrome. Wouldn't mind getting black.
    Last edited by ScottinMA : 08/05/2008 at 11:38 AM

I love my AR Teflon Chambers. Talk about easy clean-up.

Well, unless you do this to em:

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I love my AR Teflon Chambers. Talk about easy clean-up.

Well, unless you do this to em:

Bart
    LOL Bart!