Thread: supercharger overheating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

supercharger overheating

good news is i found and fixed the gas leak i was having. the bad news is now that i can drive it i find that its getting very hot. It is hot as hell down here in south texas. just driving around town i notice it gets just before the red. Technically, its still in normal range, but its on the very upper end of it. One problem that may be making this bad, is that my supercharger wasnt made to use the egr, which is supposed to lower temps by recycleing exhaust. Is there any damage that can be done by runnning it at high temps as long as its not in the red. by the way, ive checked all the usuals (fluids, radiator, etc). How do the temps run for you other supercharged guys run in the summer. thanks!

Oh ya, heat will most certainly damage components over extended use. I wasnt aware that there was even a S/C designed for us that did not utilize the EGR. Seems to me that you would be doing nothing but staring at the big, ugly CEL the whole time.

Sounds like a good thing you fixed the fuel leak, cause who knows how long before that leak and that heat would turn your VX into a smoldering shell.

Has to be something you can do to resolve the EGR. I don't know that it is 100% of the problem but it certainly does have enough bearing on the heat issue. Really hard to say without being able to see this thing and get up in the guts of it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

2001, Silver, Vehicross, Supercharged, 0492, Sold 3/20/2012
    Where was the gas leak?
    Roy

i remember reading here somewhere that someone was able to get a kit to utilize the EGR from alpine.. not sure who said that though or what the circumstances were

did you try checking your fan? its pretty common for the fan clutch to go.. mine started to heat up when my fan clutch was going

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Your coolant level may be good, but it may be old or the radiator may be plugged up somewhere.

ok, so I'm still overheating after checking everything. I'm convinced its the lack of the Egr. I've come to the conclusion that I just need to add it. My egr block has the threaded output for the tube. So all I need to do is take a tube thread one end, put a flange on the other, drill a
    Hole in the back of the s/c intake and attach it. I've never seen one with hole in the back of the manifold. Is there any thing special I'm missing here? Thanks .