Thread: supercharger overheating

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    do you really think new intake gaskets are necessary? I put new ones on when i put the S/C on about 2000 miles ago. Also, the instructions (and i use the term loosely) say to use sealant where the egr tube meets the supercharger. What did you guys use? I figured it would have to be able to deal with the high temps. Thanks!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by spitfire5454 View Post
    do you really think new intake gaskets are necessary? I put new ones on when i put the S/C on about 2000 miles ago. Also, the instructions (and i use the term loosely) say to use sealant where the egr tube meets the supercharger. What did you guys use? I figured it would have to be able to deal with the high temps. Thanks!
    I just like new gaskets, every time...I'm funny that way.

My reasoning is: they aren't THAT expensive, & you already know how much fun it is to R & R the S/C if it turns out that you wish you had used new...

I use black Hi-Temp RTV (permatex I think, can't remember if sensor safe)

I used Permatex - if you don't you'll smell the fumes in the cabin.

I had elevated engine bay temps but this stopped when I installed the cold air intake - the external air to the filter made a huge difference.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Like John, I used a hi-heat Permatex as well. And ya, it's a good thing you picked up some new O-rings. I lucked out and mine were all still in good condition and didnt tear, so I re-used them. Had a bag of new spares on-hand in case.

May as well get some new coolant too. A fresh flush never hurts. Hell, you gotta drain down anyways.

Oh, and I am sure you know, but clean the plenum very well after drilling. Metal shavings BAD.

Good luck and have fun.

EDIT: Damn John, seeing your post just reminded me.... I forgot all about those pillar covers! I'll holler at my mom tonight (since they are in her garage, heh) and see if she can ship them out to ya. I still got your info. Sorry.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Hey Gary,

Not a biggie - figured you'd get around to them eventually.

-- John

Some food for thought.
    I have run charges down here for years and can tell you that the egr will not help much but the fuel mileage on long closed loop runs. It will do very little for the heat problem.
    A VX has a big problem.. big motor very small bay, now add a charger which is aluminum which will pick up under the hood temp....

I have had luck with only three things..

1) run fat in the summer time. " Do not go and pig out!" I mean run rich on fuel raise the fuel pressure and this will hurt the pocket but save motor and charger wear.
    2) install a lower t stat for summer " which will also cause a fat fuel situation.

3) install a charger cooler and tick-tock oil pump assm to drop charger temps.
    Not cheep but very effective.

The most important thing!
    back the timing off as well to prevent a piston melt down or a pre detonation situation.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene M View Post
    Some food for thought.
    I have run charges down here for years and can tell you that the egr will not help much but the fuel mileage on long closed loop runs. It will do very little for the heat problem.
    A VX has a big problem.. big motor very small bay, now add a charger which is aluminum which will pick up under the hood temp....

I have had luck with only three things..

1) run fat in the summer time. " Do not go and pig out!" I mean run rich on fuel raise the fuel pressure and this will hurt the pocket but save motor and charger wear.
    2) install a lower t stat for summer " which will also cause a fat fuel situation.

3) install a charger cooler and tick-tock oil pump assm to drop charger temps.
    Not cheep but very effective.

The most important thing!
    back the timing off as well to prevent a piston melt down or a pre detonation situation.
    What are your thoughts on going one heat range cooler on the spark plugs?...