Thread: Alternative to Gatorback - faded cladding solutions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver

Alternative to Gatorback - faded cladding solutions

So quite a while back I posted information about the Gatorback coating for a solution on our faded cladding. I kept waiting for a brave vehicross owner to come forth and put it to the test but have yet to see anyone take the plunge. I myself have hesitated because I do offroad, and I'm concerned about it's scratchability.

I've continued to poke into the Chevy Avalanche user forums every now and then because they also face the same problem as we do with faded cladding - but they're greater in numbers so they parse solutions more quickly.

Behold, a newly discovered product. It isn't a dye, nor a cleaner. It doesn't leave residue, doesn't streak from rain, and apparently lasts for MONTHS. The Avalanche owners are saying it soaks into the cladding, staying there for a considerable amount of time. It's called Refinish Restorer. And the owners over there are raving about it. I can't wait to try it, gonna order some tonight as it's pretty much no risk.

Here's a before and after:

Now the owners are claiming these results hold up for months, I've seen people mentioning 9+ months.

Here's 2 threads worth reading about the topic and more pics:

thread 1

thread 2

Good luck!
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

Whaleboy,
    Where ya been? We had a VX meet in lower Greenville last week. Hope to see you at the next one.

BTW-That does look like a promising solution to our fading cladding.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. I've ordered some and had it shipped to where I'm going to be for the next week, hopefully I'll have time to apply it

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Whaleboy,
    Where ya been? We had a VX meet in lower Greenville last week. Hope to see you at the next one.

BTW-That does look like a promising solution to our fading cladding.

Peace.
    Tom
    Hey Tom.. I haven't really had much time to drop by and check the board lately I've been so busy. I'm really sorry I missed it. Hopefully I can make the next one and bring the Kaiser and Ironman out to play.

The kaiser is currently in the shop, girlfriend got bopped in the rear end. The other parties insurance adjuster wrote up only 3 days for the length of repair. HAH HAH, yeah like those parts are gonna arrive that quickly.

The guy I bought my VX from gave me a bottle of this stuff from "mothers" called "Back to Black" he said it works well and lasts quite a while.... I haven't tried it yet though.

On other car that I owned with cladding I simply picked up some black vinyl die from the auto parts store and sprayed away... it soaks into the plastic and takes years to fade... no idea how well that would work on a VX though.

Alot of us have used back to black... works well and smells good, but is a dust magnet.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    ...and it streaks in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Alot of us have used back to black... works well and smells good, but is a dust magnet.
    dust magnet??

I was recently turned onto a product called Black Again from Black Jack. Old product that has been off the market for a number of years. This stuff really works well, but it too is a Dust magnet.

Now for you out that are old enough to remember Lp's, remember those vinyl things before cd's.

Do you remember the 'zerostat gun's, the thing you use to use after wiping the vinyl with the diskwasher D4 to remove the dust? Well it works here on the cladding to remove the static after applying what ever product blows your skirt up.

I like Black Again by Black Jack.

Hard to find but worth the search
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

CARSYSTEM Refinish Restorer 1L $39.99 plus $12 shipping

I just ordered my bottle. $39.99 plus $12 shipping.

and the results are...

AWESOME! This stuff goes on easy and quick. It was VERY thin and went on real easy. I ended up using a detail roller brush and it took no time at all.

One note: I did one side and then waited the 10 mins and then wiped off with a lint free towel. The finish appeared to have streaks and looked better but not great. By the time I finished the other side my roller didn't have as much of the restorer fluid and so took several passes to roll into the cladding. I then used the same towel which was now full of the restorer to just wipe it down. I then made one final pass over everything with the almost dry roller and it evened everything out very nicely.

Next time I apply I will just put on a lighter coat and just continue on around the whole vehicle evening everything out with the roller and not even wipe it off. The side I basically did this with came out much better.

My hood insert was in bad shape. The restorer did help, but the results weren't great. On the cladding though, I am very happy with how it looks.

Overall, well worth the money. Time wise it's faster than back to black and I shouldn't have to apply it as often.

Before cladding

Before hood insert

Here's my endorsement pic after.