Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Gatorback - faded cladding solutions

99 White, 99 Astral Silver, 01 Kaiser Silver
    ahhh, excellent find!

check that out, turpentine substitute to clean off the refinish restorer.. thats a good sign this stuff is tough!

Oh, btw. The label on the can does say "avoid contact with skin and eyes". So guys I would suggest you wear gloves.
    Brian Cozzens - Art Director
    Borderlands / Aliens: Colonial Marines
    www.gearboxsoftware.com

Those pics look nice! Looks like it really darkens things up. I am thinking about ordering this and seeing if it is less of a dust magnet than the back to black. In socal it hardly ever rains so dust accumulates at a scary rate! I use a duster on the metal bits but it streaks the cladding so I just let it get dusty till I wash it.

I combed over my can, can't find anything about no contact with skin or eyes ??? hmm, well my hands are still fine-- I'll let you guys know if that changes

Glad you found the official instructions, you guys made me nervous about wiping the extra off.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    I bought a bottle and tried it out yesterday.. Very nice results! I think it worked best on the fanged grill and mirrors, extremely well on the cladding, and so-so on my so-far-gone hood insert - let's just say it did what it could do. Anyway, the proof will be in how long it lasts. The 1L bottle should be good for at least a dozen applications, which will be the life of my VX if it lasts even 6 months per application.

I was baffled by the picto-instructions, so I googled and found the online instructions posted above. Yes, you definitely have to "wipe off the excess" after application. The instructions said to leave it on 5-10 minute. I found that 5 minutes wasn't quite enough, so I left it on for 8 min. I set a kitchen timer for 8 minutes, started it, began applying it to panels until the timer went off, then went back and started the wiping process. Took about 4-5 of these 8 min "sessions" to get 'er done. The only thing I didn't do were my roof rails - I just forgot about them.

My wife was stunned by the results when she came home. The difference in darkness isn't huge, but the effect is remarkable. It just makes the plastic look like new.

Follow-up... Make sure you use a non-fiber-shedding towel when wiping off the excess. I used one that was still shedding a little, and some of those fibers got caught up in the finish.
    Last edited by VehiGAZ : 08/25/2008 at 05:17 AM

I found out about this product

Armordillo

from my dad, who is a service manager at a Chevy dealer. There was a TSB that came out about the Avalanches' plastics, this is the stuff that GM uses to remedy the faded cladding.

I used it on an old Porsche I owned, it turned everything back black very nicely and lasted a long time too. It's kinda spendy, but worth it, I think.

Maybe, if when I can get my hands on a VX and if it needs a treatment, I'll get some before and after pics of this stuff being used.

Just my two pennies.

After a quick look at that product, it looks like it does exactly the same thing as the "refinish restorer." Might be interesting to do a comparison though.

I just got my can of refinish restorer in... my cladding is pretty damn faded so we'll see how it goes, not sure I'll have a chance to use it until later this week though.

can had a huge dent in it, not that it effects how well it works but when you pay $30 for a can of cleaning product...

Do you know if Trim Shine available in mega marts? Thanks

All these products, all these claims, just wish I could find something that didn't streak in the rain like mascara,.... NOT that I have ever worn mascara
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    My Refinish Restorer application is holding up beautifully a month later. It looks just like it did when I put it on, and that after sitting outside every day. There is no streaking with this stuff - it dries hard, like a polyurethane sealeant or something along those lines.

I need to get off my butt and put that stuff on... my cladding is so faded it practically blends in with the silver paint

Mine is still doing great too. Very happy with it. Although there are a couple small spots where I was lazy with the second coat-- and it shows upon close inspection. Would get back and re-do it... but I left the refinish restorer with an uncle who had a BAD Avalanche.

I finally got around to using this stuff...

holy crap it's impressive!

here's a pic, it's a little dark because I was burning daylight but just look at the contrast between the cladding and the lights. It especially makes my clear turn signals pop

here's a pic from when I first got the VX for comparison

I did half of it last night (passengers side and back) using some shop towels and it came out a little streaky and a little uneven, then after work today I stopped at home depot and picked up a 2" paint brush and a little hand held trim cup. poured about an inch of RR into the cup and literally painted it on (hey the instructions even suggested to "brush" it on)... after letting it soak for 10 minutes I wiped it off with some shop towels and it was OOOH so SMOOOTH... the brush made it very easy to get in the crevices and around the bolts and lights too (BTW I didn't mask off anything, the stuff looks like thin canola oil and just rolls off the paint.

very happy with this..

I picked up a bottle of the Refinish Restorer and applied it this weekend.
    Put the first coat on yesterday and the second coat today. After the first coat I thought i ruined the cladding, it was all streaky and blotchy. After the second coat today though the results are fantastic. Brought it back to new looking.
    I had been using tire shine and liked the results but hated the running and having to apply it every week. Hope this lasts the 6 months as they say it does.
    A couple pics:

Last edited by OHVX'er : 10/19/2008 at 09:37 AM

My can has arrived and hope to get this done THIS week. Looks like everyone is having great results with it, and I'm just tired of the back to black routine. The temp has dropped here significantly though, guess it's time for fall. Any issues with putting it on in say 55 degree temp?