Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Better Mpg

Thumbs up Better Mpg

MY VX GETS 22-25 MPG AND I USE LASER IRIDIUM PLUGS, 93 OCTANE, MOBILE ONE, AND WEAPON R INTAKE, BUT I AM GOING TO INSTALL HYDROGEN FROM WWW.SAVEFUEL.CA. I INSTALLED ONE ON THE CRV AND WE ARE GETTING ABOUT 42-45 MPG AND SOON AS OUR SCANGAUGE COMES TO ADJUST IT WE SHOULD GET ABOUT 60-70 MPG. I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS MY FELLOW VX'ERS THAT WAY MEETING'S WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER TO GO TO NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE. I WILL BE POSTING PICS IN SYNTHETICDARKNESS SO YOU CAN SEE HOW SIMPLE EVERYTHING IS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTION FEEL FREE TO ASK.

that's great that you're getting good mileage, let us know how that kit works out for you.

Would you mind NOT posting in all caps?
    Writing words in caps is the equivalent of SHOUTING, on a message board or forum. Re-read your post in a shouting voices and see how ridiculous it seems.

That's awesome...

I don't have 93 anywhere near me, but 91 costs about 30¢ more per gallon, so unless it gives a ~7% increase in MPGs I'll stick with 87.

I'm using Mobile 1, and stock intake.

Is your Weapon R sucking in Warm Air? One of the first things Eco Modders do is install a WARM AIR INTAKE, it'll increase MPGs substantially, but at the expense of Engine performance.

I'd love to see what kind of results you get with the Hydrogen kit, that's very intriguing, and only costs the same as a couple tanks of gas (~$250 - $1250)

Which kit are you getting?

sorry, i just like writing in all caps. well we have the sl-75 on the crv, and i will be getting the same for the vx. our 93 is only 10 cents more up here. we gotta get our scangauge before we start messing with the amps of the hydrogen, to expensive to buy 1 gallon at a time to keep adjusting. i know running the higher octane though made a slight difference all round, you just gotta run it for a couple tanks, as for the intake it's a mix of hot and cold, but i heard all kinds of different ways hotter or colder, guess i just gotta find out with the scangauge. i have the ram air kit for it so i can check normal, then with the kit on. i will keep everyone informed.

did you guys try checking your tire presssure? it is all over the news. proper inflation= no off shore drilling

Quote Originally Posted by WiSDoM View Post
    did you guys try checking your tire presssure? it is all over the news. proper inflation= no off shore drilling
    You know there are two sides to the tire inflation deal.

1- over inflated / highly inflated = less rolling resistance = better MPG
    2- under inflated = smaller rolling diameter = better MPG

"Shifting into 4WD" by Harry Lewellyn make the claim that lower PSI = higher MPG.

Someone should run a test using LT tires. 40 PSI, 35 PSI and 30 PSI.

I'd do it, but I haven't driven my car in almost 4 weeks, so It'd take me a while to go through 3 tanks of gas I'm still on the tank of gas I filled up BEFORE I ran the trail with Todd, and Zeus.

Please keep us posted on your hydrogen findings.

we tested that tire inflation and it was about 1 mpg, but then if you run all the time on over inflated tires you end up running the tread down so you have to fork out 3-800 in new tires, but if you think dropping pressure in your tire that would be dangerous, your tire would rip apart after so long, but you could probably put smaller wheels on that would be safer, but i'm going for my 20" 275/45/20 hankook. now you can advanced the timing a little and that will help, and also help with power also, but gotta watch you don't go to far or you'll get detenation. i know aligning has a big part to everything, if you were out of alignment like our honda was we were losing about 3-5 mpg, because you are giving more gas to overcome the directions the tires want to go. lowering a vehicle also gives you about 1 mpg. i've done research on alot of this and also have done it. i got my gauge today and have been messing around with it. still need to drill though until they can get something else invented that everyone can afford. don't you love have they whine about everything then come out with stuff and only rich people can buy it, kinda like that 700 hp electric car, be nice to have one of those, but were from pa lol.:_drool:
    Last edited by SYNTHETICDARKNESS : 08/07/2008 at 07:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by SYNTHETICDARKNESS View Post
    we tested that tire inflation and it was about 1 mpg, but then if you run all the time on over inflated tires you end up running the tread down so you have to fork out 3-800 in new tires. now you can advanced the timing a little and that will help, and also help with power also, but gotta watch you don't go to far or you'll get detenation. i know aligning has a big part to everything, if you were out of alignment like our honda was we were losing about 3-5 mpg, because you are giving more gas to overcome the directions the tires want to go. lowering a vehicle also gives you about 1 mpg. i've done research on alot of this and also have done it. i got my gauge today and have been messing around with it.
    u didn't lower the VX..... RIGHT
    im still trying to figure out 16 mpg.... how the french are u managing 22+... thats 500 miles per tank!!
    ^ i want that ^
    Richard
    Proud owner of a RWD VX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "It looks like an angry snake-bee!" she said

I think everyone is talking PSI

high or low within proper range. The Dueler tires that came as OE have a range of 29psi to 40 psi. I would not go higher or lower but this gives you a nice range

MY VX GETS 22-25 MPG AND I USE LASER IRIDIUM PLUGS, 93 OCTANE, MOBILE ONE, AND WEAPON R INTAKE, BUT I AM GOING TO INSTALL HYDROGEN FROM WWW.SAVEFUEL.CA. I INSTALLED ONE ON THE CRV AND WE ARE GETTING ABOUT 42-45 MPG AND SOON AS OUR SCANGAUGE COMES TO ADJUST IT WE SHOULD GET ABOUT 60-70 MPG. I HOPE THAT THIS HELPS MY FELLOW VX'ERS THAT WAY MEETING'S WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER TO GO TO NO MATTER WHERE THEY ARE. I WILL BE POSTING PICS IN SYNTHETICDARKNESS SO YOU CAN SEE HOW SIMPLE EVERYTHING IS. IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTION FEEL FREE TO ASK.
    Very interesting. can you elaberate on how it works? Fill ups are just water? or distilled water? How long has it been installed on the CRV? Also how is the scangauge going to improve mileage of the Hydrogen add on?
    Thx
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    You know there are two sides to the tire inflation deal.

1- over inflated / highly inflated = less rolling resistance = better MPG
    2- under inflated = smaller rolling diameter = better MPG

"Shifting into 4WD" by Harry Lewellyn make the claim that lower PSI = higher MPG.

Someone should run a test using LT tires. 40 PSI, 35 PSI and 30 PSI.

I'd do it, but I haven't driven my car in almost 4 weeks, so It'd take me a while to go through 3 tanks of gas I'm still on the tank of gas I filled up BEFORE I ran the trail with Todd, and Zeus.

Please keep us posted on your hydrogen findings.
    Theoretically larger rolling diameter will increase highway MPG... the reason is because it changes the ratio of RPMs to tire rotations such that your engine doesn't need to spin as fast to go the same speed.

the down side is added weight which means it takes more energy to build momentum (eg: stop and go city traffic mileage would be worse).

Wider tires will suck down your MPG because the more contact area you've got the more rolling resistance exists, especially when turning.

consider that most people running 33s are also running 12.5" wide as well... the wider track and added weight will do more damage than the added diameter will help.

Proper alignment and proper inflation help too.

if you want the best mileage though you're looking at installing some wagon wheels on your VX

seriously though.. I've heard from more than one trooper owner that the 3.5L with factory gearing likes 265/70/R16s the best for MPG... moving to that size over the factory 245s was good for 1-2 MPG (that's a 5-10% increase right there)

By that metric consider that moving to higher octane may increase your mileage by 1-2 MPG would be more than enough to eat the extra cost of the fuel.

------------

Personally, I'm wondering how much damage the EGR valve is doing...

well all the stuff i did to get the mpg is in one of my post on here. i use distilled water and koh which adding koh makes amps in the gen, more koh more amps up to around 20 or so total using electrolysis. the scan gauge lets me check all my sens to see what they are running at and if they are doing what they are supposed to be, on top of that it let's me know my mpg as i drive which knowing that you can even increase your gas, kinda like a teacher showing you how to do it the right way i guess (poor example, but i'm tired). the gauge is worth it wether you have anything or not, knowing everything about your vehicle is priceless. the tire thing is pretty good also, but such a pain to experiment with. we've had the unit on the crv for about 3 months, then finally got our gauge, and after leaning it out we are about 60 avg. mpg. didn't lower the vx, probably not going to. gotta remember though about bigger tires slower speed, smaller tires faster speed, even though the speedometer will be off, in my opinion it takes more effort to move something bigger then something smaller, kinda like a underdrive pulley. we might buy a map sens enhancer so we can adjust rich to lean from inside the vehicle, makes it so much easier. i think i'm gonna pimp out the vx with 45" amish wheels lol.
    Last edited by SYNTHETICDARKNESS : 08/07/2008 at 10:14 PM

i think i'm gonna pimp out the vx with 45" amish wheels lol.
    Mount a horse up to the front of the VX at that point and I can guarantee an even greater decrease in gas. The first ever "hay powered VX"!
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

[QUOTE=twistedsymphony;133308]Theoretically larger rolling diameter will increase highway MPG... the reason is because it changes the ratio of RPMs to tire rotations such that your engine doesn't need to spin as fast to go the same speed.

the down side is added weight which means it takes more energy to build momentum (eg: stop and go city traffic mileage would be worse).

I get that but once you decide on the tire size it seems to me max inflation is the way to go because you get max diameter, minimum rolling resistance and the air dowsnt weigh anything. Or am I missing something?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Mount a horse up to the front of the VX at that point and I can guarantee an even greater decrease in gas. The first ever "hay powered VX"!
    LOL...I can see it now...