Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Full Carbon Fiber Hoods (2 on hand)

Hood insert

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Got a pic???
    No,but i will take one with my cell
    Dakar was just the begining.

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    OK guys, i need you expertise on this one....

For some unknown reason the hood insert got a small peel off right at the right edge.

What can i do to fix this one ?

Is there any product that works for this sort of situations ?

All inputs welcome
    Think of it like your actual hood or another body panel with paint/clearcoat. If the clearcoat peels any at all, your paint is now unprotected and fading of the paint is innevitable. The clearcoat will most likley continue to weaken and peel away as it ages as well.

The resin coating/clear on the hood insert will do much the same. Once the protective coating is gone, the damage begins. It needs to be lightly wetsanded (I recommend 1000-1200 grit) and then re-shot with a clear. I plan on doing this to my scoop eventually and shooting the whole thing a mat black since the C/F has yellowed and faded anyways.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Hood insert

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Think of it like your actual hood or another body panel with paint/clearcoat. If the clearcoat peels any at all, your paint is now unprotected and fading of the paint is innevitable. The clearcoat will most likley continue to weaken and peel away as it ages as well.

The resin coating/clear on the hood insert will do much the same. Once the protective coating is gone, the damage begins. It needs to be lightly wetsanded (I recommend 1000-1200 grit) and then re-shot with a clear. I plan on doing this to my scoop eventually and shooting the whole thing a mat black since the C/F has yellowed and faded anyways.
    Thanks for the input,but i need info about the products to be use.Any brand name ?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Thanks for the input,but i need info about the products to be use.Any brand name ?
    3M...it's called sand paper & new paint...
    As long as ya got it sanded down, throw a hood scoop on there & have some fun with bondo...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    3M...it's called sand paper & new paint...
    As long as ya got it sanded down, throw a hood scoop on there & have some fun with bondo...

Yes,i have in mind adding a scoop,but there's so many of them that will look awesome installed it keeps me wondering over & over

Which paint brand should i use to fix the small peel

Just keep in mind, this really shouldnt be done like some garden variety lawn furniture. That said, simple sanding and spray painting will most likely look just like that.... a spray paint job done in your back yard. Just my $.02.

The only suggestions I can make are based on professional use since I have the equipment (compressor, gravity feed gun, paint mixer, etc). I would just listen to what Dub said and sand it down, clean it up WELL, and spray paint it. No real knowledge of can spray paint, but I would get something that can at least hold up to the elements (so you don't end up repeating this process every summer).