Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Vehicross Registry

43 registered VX's and counting!

Keep them coming!!!

Vehicross Registry
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

1999 | #1134 | Ebony | Red & Black | Buffalo, NY | Operational | 116000

1999/0848/astral silver/red & black interior/ Windsor locks CT/orerational/ 84,000

1999 | 1802 | Astral Silver | red | Tilton, NH | Operational | 114000
    ^added it to the registry myself but I figured I'd post it anyway.

I'm glad you're running with this... for reference this is the 240sx convertible database I was talking about
    http://www.az-zbum.com/cgi-bin/vertowner.pl

it might be handy to set up something similar where people can enter their own data, and have things set by drop down box... it might not be a bad idea to include options for "lifted" or a check box for "modified" with a text field with included mods so we can see how many are all original and how many have been modified.

The 240 registry has the vins out in the open but you could collect them in full and simply hid them from public view, along with any other information people might want to keep private.

that registry started just like this one though... people posting their info in a forum and having it collected manually. They started a little under a year ago IIRC and they have a few hundred in the database. this seems like a much tighter community so I would think we could surpass them easily.

----------------

Other cool stuff you can do with this
    -Create a stats page pointing out what the average, highest, and lowest, mileage is, % operational, totaled, salvaged, etc, which state has the highest and lowest VX population, etc.
    -Create a world map with dots representing the location of VX owners so we can see where high concentrations are and where low concentrations are etc.
    -track owner history, by finding duplicate vins.

there's lots of cool stuff you can do with the data.
    Last edited by twistedsymphony : 08/12/2008 at 06:41 AM

"-Create a world map with dots representing the location of VX owners so we can see where high concentrations are and where low concentrations are etc."

The Land Rover community does this. I once drove my '72 88" SWB (Short Wheel Base) from Georgia to Kansas for a school. Before I got to K.C. I broke a manifold bolt to the first pipe and the lack of back pressure impeded my top speed. I had already plotted my route with all the Land Rover owners offering any assistance needed from the Oily Rag? site, and I was able to call a nice family with 3 Defenders! in K.C. They took me in for the day and we repaired the beast and swapped stories. Same thing happened when I drove my '65 109" Station Wagon from Fairbanks, AK to Georgia; we stopped in Canada and Colorado for some maintenance assistance.

Likewise when I did live in Fairbanks, I harbored two sets of travelers on their Land Rover journeys to the Arctic Circle. Both stayed at our house going up, then coming back. The one guy (traveling with his dog in his Defender 90, actually planned his trip to Alaska, as opposed to other alternatives, after knowing that I had offered my services). If you didn't want to be that "cozy" with your services though, just knowing where friendly garages with tools are enroute on your journey is a great VX family multiplier.

I'm driving cross-country in my VX between December and January, and half-way back in April. It would be nice to know where the VX caretakers are on my trip, as it may be the only time I would ever be able to meet them in person. ...The same reason I want to organize a Central-California mini-meet before I move. I'll likely never get the chance again.

You can query the member lists on this site by state, and whether they are active users of the forum, but a map would be of great benefit. Just my opinion.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

if you just wanted to create a map of members without correlating who owns what vehicle that would be simple enough to do. I manage a member map for one of the other forums I belong too... it's quite simple to setup and allow members to add themselves to the map, you can be as exact (proper location of your home) or inexact (point in the downtown area of your city) as you like, you can setup custom icons too...

I can start one for here if you like...

EDIT: I started one: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...d.php?p=133655
    Last edited by twistedsymphony : 08/12/2008 at 01:07 PM

Thanks guys! I actually have a member map in the works for the site the registry is on... I'm just waiting for a certain security update for what I am going to use. It does use google maps.

As for all that other info, graphs, charts and such from the database... I'll be working on that when I have a lot more time... I've just been barely sqeezing in the time during lunch and break hours at work to keep up...

Cool...
    I do a lot of database and php/ajax stuff... let me know if there is anything I can do to help

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    Cool...
    I do a lot of database and php/ajax stuff... let me know if there is anything I can do to help
    I just might have you help me out.. because I suck at that stuff! LoL. I'm still learning... but very very slowly...

Bringing it back for those that have not seen this!

Just for those that havnt seen this. Follow this link to get to the VX Registry and register you VX! You can find it under the "Community" link in the main menu... At the time of this post, we have 48 registered VX's!

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    How about everyone puts the vehicle mileage too...

.....I think its a usefull "stat" to include.

jo
    Of course you do with only 18K!

Best,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

2000/0496/Dragon Green Mica/Grey/Safety Harbor, FL/39,000/operational

1999 | 0928 | Astra Silver | Red | Bay Area, CA | operational | 63000

2001 / #1451 / Proton Yellow Ext. / Black & Grey Int. / Tacoma, WA / Operational / 81,000

2000 | 0776 | Proton | Black & Grey | F'burg, VA | Operational | 40K
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.