Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hight?

hight?

is my front ride hight adjustable by using the torsion bar adj?

I think the dealer lowered the front end when they changed my ball joints.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

In a word...YES.

Do you just tighten them on the adj bolt or is there a procedure to reset them?

Unhappy

Yes, but the bad news is, as soon as you crank them up, it throws the alignment out of whack.
    (whack: an industry insider term used to describe mis-alignment)

and thus is why you spend $139 on a life time alignment at firestone.
    All of my cars/trucks have one even " yes" my two road race cars..
    I go in and get it done for free and every car is in there at least 3-4 times a year with some new mod.

My problem i see is the left adjuster is at the end of its travel and the other has lots of adj left. can i pull the adjusters off and reset them on the splined end of the torsion bar or is one bar just screwed?

Arrow

If it's cranked to the limit, that would indicate that they didn't lower it?

I would try to re-index the T-bar before I bought a new one, but if it needs to be replaced, I would get a pair from www.independent4x.com
    Matt is good people & sells quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    If it's cranked to the limit, that would indicate that they didn't lower it?

I would try to re-index the T-bar before I bought a new one, but if it needs to be replaced, I would get a pair from www.independent4x.com
    Matt is good people & sells quality.

See thats the problem... one side is and the other is the complete opposite like some dumb *** had no clue how to put it together. One side is at the beginning of the adjustment the other is at the end... either the torsion bar is weak or it was assembled incorrectly. if you take a tape the the truck you can see the front is down by 2" in comparison to the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene M View Post
    if you take a tape the the truck you can see the front is down by 2" in comparison to the rear.
    Before I did my lift the difference between the front and back was between 1.5 inches and 2" difference on each side with the front having less room between the fenders (less ground clearance). If I am not mistaken the VX came with a tad bit of lean towards the front. As far as those torsion bolts go, mine would not turn very much at all without some heavy soaking in some pbBlaster, is there a chance that they are at their lowest limit instead of the highest?

My torsion bars took a 3' Breaker bar to budge. (along with pbBlaster).

They can be misleading, and appear that they are maxed but still have some room to go.

If I was doing it again. I would loosen my T-Bars all the way, and re-index them so I could get a little more lift with a little less crank. (re-index = rotate the bar ~90º)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Before I did my lift the difference between the front and back was between 1.5 inches and 2" difference on each side with the front having less room between the fenders (less ground clearance). If I am not mistaken the VX came with a tad bit of lean towards the front. As far as those torsion bolts go, mine would not turn very much at all without some heavy soaking in some pbBlaster, is there a chance that they are at their lowest limit instead of the highest?
    See one is at the end of adjustment and one is set all the way loose. So some dumb *** set them up wrong.
    So i need to drop them and re index them.. i was just wondering if there was some procedure for the best way to index them?

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    My torsion bars took a 3' Breaker bar to budge. (along with pbBlaster).

They can be misleading, and appear that they are maxed but still have some room to go.

If I was doing it again. I would loosen my T-Bars all the way, and re-index them so I could get a little more lift with a little less crank. (re-index = rotate the bar ~90º)
    Good to know .. i have a rather large 3/4 impact so i dont think i will have that much of a problem " heavy diesel mech"

Quote Originally Posted by Rene M View Post
    See one is at the end of adjustment and one is set all the way loose. So some dumb *** set them up wrong.
    So i need to drop them and re index them.. i was just wondering if there was some procedure for the best way to index them?
    Ah I see, well it is clear you know more what you are talking about then me, I probably couldn't even tell you if mine were maxed out one way or the other, all I know is my bolts turned and the front end came down, lol. Yeah I have no experience in reindexing but I know there was a thread about that somewhere around here.

To quote Zues in another thread "Anyway, reindexing the T-bars involves the removal of the crossmember they go into and then rotating the bars (which swings the A-arms down) enough to fit in their mounts again. Then you fine tune the amount of lift by cranking on the adjusting bolts."

But it sounds like you already know more than that already, oh the bolt is 27mm though if that helps, I went out and bought a 27mm socket to go with my 10" socket wrench that is what I used, it was hard to turn but I love challenges

That is all I could find sorry couldn't be more help, good luck can't wait to see how it turns out, let us know.
    Last edited by LittleBeast : 08/18/2008 at 10:59 PM

"I think the dealer lowered the front end when they changed my ball joints."

It's happened. CSTYLES took his in for a front end alignment when he lifted & they kindly lowered his front end back to original specs as part of the alignment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

yep, had to put it back all by my self and align it myself.