Thread: Hubcap Mod "VehiCROSS" emblem

Hubcap Mod "VehiCROSS" emblem

I have finally dealt with the "ISUZU" hubcap on my '01 VX:

I applied automotive-grade vinyl (I used matte black), carefully cut with an X-acto knife with new blade, in the trough between the black "cap" and the chrome outer assembly. I did this with the cap/wheel on, as I didn't want to remove the wheels to unbolt the hubcap assembly. If the cap was removed and the vinyl installed on the bench, the cutting would be easier, as you could spin the cap assembly while the knife 'sliced' around; when done with the wheel on, you're trying to 'slice' in a circle and sometimes that means 'pushing' the blade, thus a brand new blade makes for a cleaner cut. (Removing the cap is a non-issue with '99 stock wheels)

The installation of the 'VehiCROSS' emblem is straight-forward. I aligned right-side up like the "ISUZU" was, all four right-side up with the valve stem at the top of the rim.

Parts:
    Automotive-grade vinyl, matte black:
    Purchased from this eBay seller: MetroSellers Vinyl Express, http://stores.ebay.com/MetroSellers-Vinyl-Express or at metrodecals.com;
    Price: apprx $3 per sq. foot/$4.99 shipping.

3" VehiCROSS Emblems:
    These are smaller versions of the emblems you always see on eBay for headrests, etc. Here's one active auction for the larger badge: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-VEH...spagenameZWDVW
    I emailed the auctioneer, Ken Chu at badge4car@hotmail.com (or just use the 'Ask seller a question' option on one of his active auctions) and asked if he could produce the same badge, but 3" in lengths.
    Price: $10 for the 4 badges which included shipping, via. PayPal

Assessment:
    Application of the black vinyl without inducing bubbles is a learned exercise. I applied the vinyl in the middle of the cap and spread out evenly with my fingers. I used a heat gun to curl the edges around the cap edge after cutting around with the blade. Focus that heat on the perimeter only to curl down the edges but try not to apply too much heat to the center of the cap/vinyl, as too much heat can create new 'bubbles' under the vinyl that weren't there before.

The VX badges, themselves, are a metallic quality and seem to possess the qualities of environmental longevity (they're supposed to be a 3M material), but only time will tell. The "C-R-O-S-S" letters are a little too spread apart as per the original design, but that is forgotten as the badges shine in the light like they are chrome.

All in all, though, this is a nice, relatively-cheap mod that I think enhances the stock wheels, and this has all been more than you ever wanted to know about this mod, but I like to provide all information necessary for someone else to do the mod if they were so inclined.
    Bren Workman
    Gretna, NE
    (C) 402-312-1992

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

While back, I wrote up a thing about doing much the same, but I used a carbon fiber backing and just a big old VX in the center. Think this is still available from: http://www.401graphics.com/vehicross Here is the orginal thread from Feb of 07 http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=10466
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

looks nice! i was debating going that route as its about time to re-do my center caps.. i did something similar a while back but with no logos and diamond plate vinyl instead of solid color..

They all look great, Hat's off

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Rowhard, It's odd that I never ran across that post or the link to the website.

I probably would have gone with the "VX" from the website. I originally wanted "VX" on the hubcaps that would match my grille badge; I took a "VX" design in the correct size for the hubcaps to a local decal shop, and they were talking about $100 design fees, minimum size orders, etc.

This mod has encouraged me to remove the rear door "ISUZU." I think I will always keep the "VehiCROSS" on the rear pillars, but I think the "3.5L" might have to go at some point. I had originally thought I would never de-badge, but that's how it goes.

careful.... i started with the 3.5L badges.. then next thing i knew i was thinking about the rear isuzu.. then i woke up in a gutter with a bottle of goo gone in my hand and my vx was completely naked!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    careful.... i started with the 3.5L badges.. then next thing i knew i was thinking about the rear isuzu.. then i woke up in a gutter with a bottle of goo gone in my hand and my vx was completely naked!
    YIKES!!!......

It's too late for me, but maybe others can be saved...

For now the "3.5L" and pillar badges will stay, but is there anything sexier than a naked Foxfire butt?