Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: DTC readers anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I know it can do the tire size speedo fix, but I do not think it corrects the ODO.

Bart
    if it works like most other cars the ODO get's it's signal from the speedo so if one is correct so is the other.

Also most Autoparts stores will scan your car FREE..
    VIP, Autozone, Napa, Advanced, Pepboys, etc... just ask they'll plug in and read your code and wont charge you a dime...

in my state I need to be CEL free for the annual state inspection. Had the EGR go on me just one week before my inspection (d'oh) I tried cleaning it twice and it would be CEL free for a day or two and then it would come back so I just bit the bullet and bought a new one on ebay (~100 after searching for a while most new ones go for 150-200)... came with a new gasket and everything and the VX is much happier now.

Ordered the ScanGaugeII yesterday. Figured if I am gonna spend that much money, I may as well get something that looks good enough to actually USE while driving and not just throw in the toolbox when done.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Ordered the ScanGaugeII yesterday. Figured if I am gonna spend that much money, I may as well get something that looks good enough to actually USE while driving and not just throw in the toolbox when done.
    Good choice...

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Yeah, you can even change the display color to your liking. I have mine mounted in a hole cut in the plastic below where the CD changer used to be. I think it looks pretty good there.

Bart

For what it is worth, I have the Actron CP9175. No frills to it. They have a simpler model that JUST showed you the code and allows you to clear it. I think that would be just as effective. In any case, the one I have is under $100 right now. I get to pull it out of the garage every couple months when I need to talk a car down off a ledge...

I also have a CarChip. It is able to read and clear codes, but it is such a pain to do so, that I can't recommend buying it for that reason. Actually, the only reason to get it might be covering your butt after an accident or a speeding ticket, I guess. I really don't use it anymore, but I still leave it plugged in.