Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: stalling when starting

I've been having the same issue of it sputtering and threw a p0171 code i believe and then today it actually died after turning on. Wouldn't stay running without some throttle applied. I took the idle control out and tried turning the key to on to see what happened and it popped the whole plunger thing out, is that normal? The plunger screws back in and i can't pull it out so i'm wondering if thats normal for it to pop out like that? If it's not this then would it be the fuel pressure regulator? This is my first 'new' car with sensors and such so i'm still learning. It seems like the symptoms my buddies Cherokee had and it was the Throttle positioning sensor on that.
    nznsi

Quote Originally Posted by Knivx View Post
    I've been having the same issue of it sputtering and threw a p0171 code i believe and then today it actually died after turning on. Wouldn't stay running without some throttle applied. I took the idle control out and tried turning the key to on to see what happened and it popped the whole plunger thing out, is that normal? The plunger screws back in and i can't pull it out so i'm wondering if thats normal for it to pop out like that? If it's not this then would it be the fuel pressure regulator? This is my first 'new' car with sensors and such so i'm still learning. It seems like the symptoms my buddies Cherokee had and it was the Throttle positioning sensor on that.
    It is possible that it is the TPS. There is a cleaning solution for that that seems to work for many, so it's worth a try.

This is pretty insane really. Recently, there has been a 171 and 174 epidemic.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Yeah I just cleaned mine, too. I'm having similar issues as yours... I believe that the unit is caled the Idle Air Control Motor, or IAC. It's about $50 from the parts store.

Wanted to resurrect this thread because I had a bit of an issue last night with Vicki. I drove to work yesterday with no problems, but I noticed that either right before or right as I put her in park that the RPM's dropped considerably (not normal for her) and actually bumped up and down a bit. Watched her for a second and it didn't happen again, so I didn't think anything of it. Turned her off and went to work. When I got back in her last night she started up just fine and I let her warm up a bit as usual (since it's below freezing here).

When I put her in reverse to back out of the parking space the engine completely died. No sputtering, no stumbling, just dead; like I turned the key off. The lights were still on, instrument cluster, radio, etc. Put her in park (with the lights still on) and she started right back up with no problem. Hmmm. Put her in reverse again, and again the engine dies. Went through that a couple of times and ended up having to put her in reverse/drive and step on the gas to stop her from stalling out again. She sputtered along for a bit and every stop sign that I can to I had to put her in neutral so she wouldn't die. Drove her all the way home (luckily catching all the green lights) and when I got near home I stopped at a stop sign without putting her in neutral and everything was fine. OK. Got home parked her in the garage and left her overnight. This morning got in and she fired right up and didn't act up at all on the way to work.

Everything that I have read here is pointing to the fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, idle solenoid or the fuel pump. I, fairly recently, changed the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator, but I will change them again just to be safe. I'll pull the idle solenoid and clean it out to make sure that it is working too.

My big question here is; how hard is it to pull the gas tank if I need to replace the fuel pump? The manual says that you need to remove the rear fender, rear bumper, rear inner fender, etc, etc. That's a LOT of work, and I don't mind doing it, but if I can get the tank out without having to remove half of the rear end of the VX I would rather do that. I do NOT want to cut a hole in the floor to get to the fuel pump so getting the tank out is my only option.

Anyone remove their gas tank without removing the rear fender and bumper?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I'll give it a 95% that the IAC will fix it.
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

I really do hope that it is that easy. Fingers crossed.

While we're here... whatever happened to Dave (circmand)?

mine was doing this with a new irc (and maf sensor, tps, fpr, fuel filter) - i cleaned the throttle body and put some heat fuel additive in the gas tank (basically rubbing alcohol) and it seems to have fixed it

i think its just too damn cold!!!!!

EXACT same symptons - only dying when put in reverse and starting to move

never threw any codes

Check your air filter and the connector that is attached to the air filter cover. My wife had the problem with her VX dying after I had installed new headlight bulbs. She called me from work with her story and I told her to stop at a automotive store and have one of the young bucks put some fuel cleaner in her tank (ha ha). It did ok for her running around at lunch but then acted up again on her way home. After thinking about what the problem could be I realized I had left the connector off. Just some food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by soggybottomboyz View Post
    Check your air filter and the connector that is attached to the air filter cover. My wife had the problem with her VX dying after I had installed new headlight bulbs. She called me from work with her story and I told her to stop at a automotive store and have one of the young bucks put some fuel cleaner in her tank (ha ha). It did ok for her running around at lunch but then acted up again on her way home. After thinking about what the problem could be I realized I had left the connector off. Just some food for thought.
    i did this with my mass air flow sensor plug before - but that wasnt the case this time - checked every vacuum hose and plug i could see and everything looked good - plus, if it was a plug disconnected you should almost certainly throw a code

had this problem... I checked the MAF, secured the ring, and warmed her up on days below 5Deg F. , Was low on oil too. I surmised it was frozen vapor through the system or something.

Did not happen again.