Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: stalling when starting

stalling when starting

Tried a search could not find anything. When I go to start mx VX it stalls out. If I pump the gas pedal it will stay on but seems to be trying to cut off. Any Ideas

is there a certain time that it happens?

mine used to do that after the vx had sat for 30-40 minutes and i started it again.. replaced the fuel pressure regulator and ive been all good since... contact joe isuzu.. i sent him a "kit" with a tool needed and photographic directions made up by a member here.. once hes finished with it he can send it out to you

thanks I will try that

seems like it is always doing it but I always have left it at least the half hour.

Mine does this when it's hot outside. It seemed weird to me that it was when it was hot, so I tried (completely by chance) taking the gas cap off for a second and putting it back on. This works EVERY time. It's also making me think it has something to do with pressure in the tank. I thought it may be the cap, so I bought a new one, but same thing.

Maybe it is the fuel pressure regulator. I'll have to look into it.

Try removing the cap and putting it back on as an immediate fix though.

Cheers,
    technocoy
    macintosh man

Well if it is heat doing

my area certainly qualifies. The middle of the desert but it is funny while it still hits 100 degrees most days we are not in the 110s and 120s anymore and it is worse now. What does make sense is if the fual cap is not allowing air in then the fuel pump needs to work harder but since the problem usually occurs after sitting you figure air would have gotten in overnite and it would not be as bad after sitting.

try sea foam stuff works great, it fix my high idle problem

Found the fix for this!

Hi,
    My VX started this symptom (intermittantly) the other day. I took it to a shop for an unrelated issue, and it failed to start for them. It would fire, then die, fire then die...

The guy had obviously seen this before. He went straight to the Idle Solenoid (what he called it). It has a blue/black connector and is mounted to the intake plenum by two screws. He pulled it out (It looks like a plunger with a spring around it, caked with carbon)... and had a guy turn the key to "on" without starting the engine. No movement of the plunger. So, he moved it back and forth with his hands, then asked the guy to turn the key again to "on". The plunger MOVED! So he disconnected it and took it to his bench and cleaned the carbon off real good... re-assembled it to the engine and started the motor. It ran/runs great! Actually runs better now too... smoother! Have not had the problem since.
    Talk about an EASY fix to this common problem!
    ---JIM---
    SilverBullet75
    Formerly: '01 Ebony VXSTLTH
    Now: '08 Saab 9-7x Aero 6.0L

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hmm...ive been having fuel problems lately and have been considering doing the fuel filter, FPR, and maybe this ^^^ if you can take some pics of location..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Pic of idle solenoid location

Here you go!
    (credit goes to CeCe. I marked up her pic... hope you don't mind CeCe!)

I was wrong about the colors of the connector... looks like yellow/black, not blue/black.

i just finished cleaning that sensor and plus i also found out that the MAF sensor on my Veronica(VX) was backwards, hmmmm don't know how , but i fixed it, and with those two things done, and cleaned out, WOW, huge diffrence in Accel... and response, i can'tg even discribe the diffrnce but i can feel a big jump from being sluggish and slower to really feeling like i'm driving a stick car. its really that big of a jump and it's weird. Thanx for the info silverbullet.

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

Hmmm, interesting thread with very credible and pertinent information. Perhaps, Moncha (Scott) can attach this thread to the "How To's" column for future reference related to fuel/starting issues.

Thanks. I'll try cleaning it. I just had the 120k tuneup 6000 miles ago and they did change the fuel filter and checked the fuel pressure regulator for leaks and it was "fine". I have a call into the tech today and they will call me back to see if i need to bring it in. They said to not worry about it yet unless it keep happening.
    Call me a geek, or maybe even nerd, but face the facts, we da ones be rulin' this world!

Last edited by Vehi-Cross-Az : 03/20/2009 at 01:06 AM

Check out our VX accessories @
    www.planetsvx.com
    click on the Vehicross button on the left side
    of the page

mine was Blue and black

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBullet75 View Post
    Here you go!
    (credit goes to CeCe. I marked up her pic... hope you don't mind CeCe!)

I was wrong about the colors of the connector... looks like yellow/black, not blue/black.

A word of warning be careful when unhooking this as the blue rubber gasket can fall off quite easy and in some cases fall into the hole by there which is impossible to get out. On the bright side there is a purplr and black connector on the air filter tube going to the motor and the purple gasket can be used to replace the blue one til you get to the parts store and replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vehi-Cross-Az View Post

One thing that may separate the symptoms from the idle solenoid and the intake manifold gasket... check engine code.

The idle solenoid problem did NOT throw a code/light. I beleive the intake manifold issue does throw a code... does it not?