Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the vx and the snow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

the vx and the snow

i've only had my vx for a few months, and my question is, how good are these things in the snow?? I'm thinkin of goin up to colorado or northern az around dec/jan. How well do they stand up to the snow?

Off roading in the snow or just on the street? Well , I moved to Chicago just in time for last years winter. I had never seen nor been in or around snow before, and I am still in one piece. The Winter Mode is a wonderful thing! I needed to tug people out from their parking spots a couple times (Gill/nocturnalvx included). But that's because his parking spot was on a huge snow mound, and he got high centered.

Maybe Gill can help with this... he's lived in/around the snow forever.
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

Let's just say that my VX helped me make a few enemies at the last place I worked. A few years ago we got a HUGE overnight snow. My commute was about 50 miles, and I made it in to work when a few people who lived right there in town didn't. Needless to say I wasn't very popular with my co-workers for awhile after that.

It was a fun ride in that day though.

At that time, I was at stock ride height with stock wheels and tires. So yes, the VX is very capable in the winter right out of the box.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    the VX is great in the snow...

thats why i bought mine because i had to get through college in one piece

what are ya coming up to colorado for??

my girlfriend is comin out in december, right after christmas, so I wanted to take her either up north in az or go to colorado. I was looking at goin to telluride, seems like a nice small town to just get away to. The vx is an amazing machine, more capable than a landrover discovery, just minus the luxories.

Quote Originally Posted by VCross007 View Post
    my girlfriend is comin out in december, right after christmas, so I wanted to take her either up north in az or go to colorado. I was looking at goin to telluride, seems like a nice small town to just get away to. The vx is an amazing machine, more capable than a landrover discovery, just minus the luxories.
    ...and significantly less likely to break down!

A

Quote Originally Posted by VCross007 View Post
    i've only had my vx for a few months, and my question is, how good are these things in the snow?? I'm thinkin of goin up to colorado or northern az around dec/jan. How well do they stand up to the snow?
    The VX is awesome in the snow provided you have the right shoes (not the OEM tires for sure). HOWEVER, one must be VERY careful with this machine due to the short wheel base. You could find yourself doing a 180 faster than you think. Keep it slow and watch your turns and you should be OK.
    Scott

I haven't driven my VX in the snow yet... since I just got it this year but as someone who has lived in the New England my whole life the key is the tires...

it doesn't matter what you're driving but if you've got good snow tires you're in good shape.

on top of that the things that make a good snow vehicle a GREAT snow vehicle are
    -A majority of the weight over the drive wheels
    -4WD or AWD
    -Limited Slip Differentials
    -Good Ground clearance
    -ABS

The VX hits on all of those marks save the LSD part, the front and rear diffs are open but the "center diff" is essentially the torque on demand which acts like a center LSD... so it gets half a check mark there.

~I want to re-iterate though.. that AWD, ABS, Ground clearance, etc. are all COMPLETELY WORTHLESS unless you've also got the right tires. I had a lifted toyota Pickup with some nearly bald all-seasons on them... the first storm took me by surprise and driving around you'd swear the tires were made of solid ice, I would have been better off strapping skiis to the bottom of the truck and pushing it around then trying to drive anywhere. When I finally got around to putting my snow tires on you wouldn't even know I was driving on snow the truck was so sure-footed.

Again though, I can't stress enough how important tires are. If you're doing a lot of snow driving, buy a 2nd set of tires just for snow driving...

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapelittas are the best snow tires money can buy.

I've got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my VX, like I said I haven't snowed it yet, but my friend at the tire shop said they do quite well in the snow, well enough he knows a few guys with plow trucks who run them

It loves the snow, but be careful with the big banks. The first winter I had mine we went snowbank stomping and had a riot. The next morning when I set off to work the scariest vibration I have ever felt was shaking me silly. I was afraid I broke something, but it was simply all the snow that had packed into the wheels. The brakes had melted the snow around the top, but ice chunks had settled on the lower half of each wheel making for a "slight" unbalanced set of wheels. After knocking the chunks out, all was good. Now whenever I spend time eating the snow I make sure I brush out the wheels.

Mike

I was driving in 20+" deep snow this day

I only turned back because my friends Samurai was getting high centered.
    We were plowing 4" deep ruts with our bumpers!
    The snow was fresh, and my tires are not stock, but I can say, the VX really rips it up:_drool: I had total control, tracking where ever I wanted.
    I can't wait to play some more
    Sometimes I Wonder......
    Why Is That Frizbee Getting Bigger?
    Then It Hits Me

I have found that in the snow not to use power mode. It causes the wheels to spin to easily. And do not forget about the winter mode switch. Just push it when stopped and it will help you get going without spinning. shawn
    1COOLVX

Post Lsd

Just FYI, the rear differential on the VX is full time LSD. That's why you can't run the spare tire on the rear at anytime, you must move a front wheel to the rear and always run the small spare on the front axel only or you'll damage the LSD mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    I haven't driven my VX in the snow yet... since I just got it this year but as someone who has lived in the New England my whole life the key is the tires...

it doesn't matter what you're driving but if you've got good snow tires you're in good shape.

on top of that the things that make a good snow vehicle a GREAT snow vehicle are
    -A majority of the weight over the drive wheels
    -4WD or AWD
    -Limited Slip Differentials
    -Good Ground clearance
    -ABS

The VX hits on all of those marks save the LSD part, the front and rear diffs are open but the "center diff" is essentially the torque on demand which acts like a center LSD... so it gets half a check mark there.

~I want to re-iterate though.. that AWD, ABS, Ground clearance, etc. are all COMPLETELY WORTHLESS unless you've also got the right tires. I had a lifted toyota Pickup with some nearly bald all-seasons on them... the first storm took me by surprise and driving around you'd swear the tires were made of solid ice, I would have been better off strapping skiis to the bottom of the truck and pushing it around then trying to drive anywhere. When I finally got around to putting my snow tires on you wouldn't even know I was driving on snow the truck was so sure-footed.

Again though, I can't stress enough how important tires are. If you're doing a lot of snow driving, buy a 2nd set of tires just for snow driving...

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapelittas are the best snow tires money can buy.

I've got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my VX, like I said I haven't snowed it yet, but my friend at the tire shop said they do quite well in the snow, well enough he knows a few guys with plow trucks who run them

Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    Just FYI, the rear differential on the VX is full time LSD. That's why you can't run the spare tire on the rear at anytime, you must move a front wheel to the rear and always run the small spare on the front axel only or you'll damage the LSD mechanism.
    Actually it has to do with the TOD. With the spare in the wrong place the TOD will go crazy thinking that there is a tire slipping.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Mmmmmm...not exactly, the VX came stock from the factory with a limited slip rear differential (LSD). If yours is "open" something must have been changed before you got it, or your clutch packs may be toast...
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksambo View Post
    My mistake... I just assumed it was an open diff...

if it's a factory LSD that's even better!

Thanks for the correction... learn something new every day

as for the main topic...

FWIW... my VX is technically my "Winter Beater"

Probably the best winter "driving" pic on this site...AlaskaVX!
    http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...puser/253/sl/a