Thread: the vx and the snow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya after i posted earlier i was gonna come back and add that no matter how good your car is in the snow, the tires are the most important....

i have been able to drive around people stuck in my integra because i spent $600 on snow tires...

only notes i have are go easy on the gas pedal on starts, the AWD doesnt kick in quite fast enough for you to tear off in a straight line while in the slushy or wet snow. on pure powder driving i didnt have any problems, even with the last set of tires being near bald on the edges and being pretty low tread (those were continental crosscontact). current tires, cooper discoverer h/t plus, look and go like tank treads. both in 255/55/18 sizing. even in the freak blizzard in the NE a couple years ago, i didnt have too hard a time driving around until my hill and the deep slush.

yea that storm
    http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=37015

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by twistedsymphony View Post
    on top of that the things that make a good snow vehicle a GREAT snow vehicle are
    -A majority of the weight over the drive wheels
    -4WD or AWD
    -Limited Slip Differentials
    -Good Ground clearance
    -ABS

The VX hits on all of those marks save the LSD part, the front and rear diffs are open but the "center diff" is essentially the torque on demand which acts like a center LSD... so it gets half a check mark there.

Bridgestone Blizzaks and Nokian Hakkapelittas are the best snow tires money can buy.

I've got a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on my VX, like I said I haven't snowed it yet, but my friend at the tire shop said they do quite well in the snow, well enough he knows a few guys with plow trucks who run them
    Mmmmmm...not exactly, the VX came stock from the factory with a limited slip rear differential (LSD). If yours is "open" something must have been changed before you got it, or your clutch packs may be toast...
    I agree with your choice of snow tires, & would add Bridgestone Dueler A/T "REVO's" to the list...great snow tire...

I use my Terra Grapplers for winter tires & they've worked very well.
    Last edited by Ldub : 09/29/2008 at 10:11 AM