Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: muffler help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

muffler help

hello, i need a new muffler. the dealer told me that they cannot get one, none of the warehouses have any. i just want a nice quite muffler thats all.
    i read the post's about the flowmaster, mangaflow ,pv's and the borla with the louder noises and aggressive rumble,raspy sounding. i'm not looking for that. i am happy with the stock sounding muffler. any suggesting?????

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Try Midas?

Loud performance mufflers aren't the only choices in the aftermarket...

The yellow pages are choke with muffler shops that can put something quiet on your VX a lot cheaper than OEM.

Welcome to the Fam...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Loud performance mufflers aren't the only choices in the aftermarket...
    You would think...but according to my favorite mom/pop muffler shop owner, mufflers with internal packing are rare. Muffler shops want to install "empty" mufflers because they can back them with lifetime warranties. That packing that makes them quiet hold moisture and (can) accelerate corrosion. Plus, because most cars have a large converter (or multiple smaller ones), I think our VX is somewhat uniquely designed -- for exhaust piping.

In the "olden" days, mufflers had to contain more packing to muffler. The lack of [quieting] converters created that necessity. Now, muffler don't' need to quiet as much....And, typically don't contain as much packing. That's why a "full-blown" muffler is more rare. It's why they aren't as readily stocked at muffler shops. Mine doesn't carry anything like it on their shelves. So they are concerned that an off-the-shelf muffler won't satisfy.

I may not need one yet...but I think it's getting close. That's why I started looking. These Walker mufflers (and the rest of the Quiet-3 series) intrigue me because of their ad copy. It sounds like they might be one of the most quiet performance mufflers out their. But, I've yet to see anyone post about them, anywhere.
    2001 Ebony VX and 1989 Custom 383 Corvette

Any update?

Anyone ever use a Walker?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 89Vette View Post
    Anyone ever use a Walker?
    My Grampa..... .. ..

For mufflers

You have 2 options by the original and have it shipped from Japan. This is expensive and takes 6 weeks. Find a good local muffler shop that bends and thinks out of the box that knows any muffler with the same diameter as the exhaust pipe can be welded on and work perfectly fine and legal. The best way to find the shop is call and ask if they will look up if they can do a muffler for a VX. Here you will get attitude that they can do just about any car. Ask them to humor you and look it up. The wrong shop will say they can order the OEM. The correct shop will give you the info stated above
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    CT in the house!!!! Welcome to the board, fellow Nutmegger. Oh wait - you've been here since 2005, but only posted now?! Ok then...

Good luck with your search!

I recently got a new muffler at Monro Muffler and I'm very happy with it. It's nice and quiet. They had to pull a few outta the box to find one that would fit in that space. I also got a new flex joint. If that hasn't been replaced yet on yours, have them do it while they're under there.

I'm sure there's a Monro shop near you. The cost was reasonable. It looks like the model they used is #3430. That'll save them time trying to find one that fits.

Mark Griffin

sorry, i left that out. i went to midas, monroe and meineke, with no luck.
    tried car quest, autozone, aid and two other parts stores also with no luck.
    deermagnet thanks i'll bring a copy of your receipt to monroe and see what they say thanks to everyone for the help

deermagnet, i went to monroe today with the muffler that you suggested. but the shock reservoir got in the way of the end pipe of the muffler. not the tail pipe.

What a pain

Yes the OEM muffler finally rusted out. Called several places and they all said bring it in for us to take a look at. I made them use their computer to check out if they had a muffler for the VX. After giving me an attitude that they were a muffler shop they were sure they could do it they looked the VX up and proceeded to tell me they couldn't. Called local Munro with a pipe bender and gave them the part number from a post here and they still couldn't do it since the computer told them they did not have a muffler for the VX. This guy was nice enough to find a place that would build me a SS muffler for $200. Not bad but I was then told the local Midas was the place to go for custom fit. I called and the guy wanted me to come by and after a brief talk I fel comfortable they could do it. I got there a little before 6 and 45 minutes later they had everything done and it sounded great. No noise at idle very little at cruising speed and a nice throaty roar during acceleration.

I called Borla the other day. I offered to bring my VX into their facility in Tennessee this weekend (since I'll be down that way) to let them get what they need to offer us a cat-back system. They said thanks but no thanks.

When it's muffler time for me, there's a kid that works at a local tire shop that can work magic with exhaust systems. I'll be going there. When I had an Amigo, I took it to him. He took one look at it and said that he could replace it that way (OEM) or do it right for 1/4 the cost.

I'm just sayin: check around. You should be able to find a local shop (not necessarily a muffler shop) that can get it worked out for you at a reasonable price.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

cannot find any muffler in Toronto, any on line place you guys recommend.

Call Merlin at St Charles Isuzu he can get you OEM from Japan but it's expensive and takes a while for them to make and ship. But look at it this way, the OEM lasts 13 years, what other muffler does that?

I just got a new tail pipe and muffler from Isuzu within the last months, brand new, factory, OEM