After extensive research to replace my discontinued Toyo Proxes S/T, 255/55R18, (OE is: 245/60-18), and a desire for all-around use, I went with:

General Grabber HTS 255/55R18
Relatively cheap for 18” at $113 each @ tirerack.com
It’s a new tire tread for General; my local tire supplier didn’t have them listed by their supplier. It’s not the most attractive tire, either, and the ‘ribbed’ sidewall will likely be a pain to keep reasonably clean. (See picture links below)

I wasn’t looking to spend a lot but I knew I was going to need some snow-ability for my move(s) this winter. While researching each of the tires at the lower end price for the 18” variety at tire rack.com, I came across this Four Wheeler Magazine excerpt regarding the HTS's in snow:
http://www.generaltire.com/pdfs/news...lerarticle.pdf

Furthermore, the November 2008 issue of Consumer Reports magazine rated SUV tires, as well as All-Terrain and Winter tires.

The General Grabber HTS scored an 80, the second place tire scored a 73. The Grabber HTS posted ‘Excellent’ for Dry Braking, Wet Braking, and Handling, and ‘Above Average’ for Hydroplaning Resistance, Ride Comfort and Low Noise. I think the Snow category earned the HTS a ‘Good’ rating. I’m not a subscriber to Consumer Reports but I saw a copy of the tire review at, all places, the tire shop that mounted my HTS’s.

1. General Grabber HTS
2. Continental CrossContact LX
3. Kumho Road Venture APT KL51
4. Cooper Discoverer CTS
5. Michelin LTX M/S
6. Yokohama Geolander M/T-S G051
7. Firestone Destination LE
8. Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza
9. Dayton Timberline HTII
10. Pirelli Scorpion STR A
11. Goodyear Wrangler SR-A
12. Dunlop Radial Rover A/T
13. Hankook DynaPro AS RH03
14. Goodyear Fortera TripleTred
15. Toyo Open Country H/T
16. Nitto Dura Grappler Highway Terrain
17. Dunlop Grandtrek AT20
18. Uniroyal Laredo Cross Country
19. BF Goodrich Rugged Trail T/A
20. Falken Ziex S/TZ-04

I didn’t see, nor can I find online, the All-Terrain Consumer Reports tire review. I was set to buy the Avon Tech ST, which has great customer reviews on TireRack.com, but none were available, presumably in the Continental U.S. While on the phone with Tire Rack, the customer service rep. said, “We don’t ‘do’ Nitto, Falken, or Toyos…and there’s a reason for that…” I’m not sure what he meant by that, it could have been an issue with supply distribution as much as quality, but my rear Toyo Proxes S/T (‘1’, as there is a new tread style, ‘2’), were considerably worn down on the inside and dry-rot cracked, making them highly susceptible to tread separation.

‘Just some info for ya’. I will post reviews after I get some miles on the tires. I won’t be able to do a snow review for a couple of months, though.