Hi Everybody,
I just recently got the bug to get a VX after I bumped into one on a local classifieds site. It seems like it would be a decent vehicle for me, as I need something small/manageable for the city, something that won't be too sad if it gets scratched/bumped, something that handles highways well, and something that can manage an occasional off-road jaunt, as I mountain bike all summer long.

Anyways, I found one locally that seemed like a good deal and went to check it out last night. The owner has stated that he had maintenance regularly performed on the truck including timing belt at 65k, regular transmission fluid changes, and all scheduled maintenance. Right now the truck has over 90k miles on it, and seems to be in good shape. I didn't get a chance to drive it as it's currently waiting for a renewed registration.

I came away with a couple of questions though, so I was hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

1) There's a relatively big leak coming from under the hood. It appears to be coming from the steering pump/assembly/something. It was dark and all I had was a flashlight, so I tried my best to diagnose it but was only able to track it to the steering. The fluid was brown and seemed to be thin-not like oil and not like brake fluid. Is this a common problem? What could cause it and what's a likely fix (including cost)?

2) Certain corners seemed bouncier than others and worse than they should be. I know rancho and other shocks are readily available, but I love the stock piggyback dampers on the VX. Are these still available, and how much do they cost?

3) The owner said he was getting between 16.5-18 highway MPG. He has slightly larger tires than stock on the truck, but they aren't MT or offroad tires. Does this seem reasonable? Is there an easy way to boost MPG or does it seem possible that he miscalculated due to not recalibrating the odometer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. There's another one nearby that has lower miles but the dealership it's at appears to be run completely by unhelpful tools, so I'm hesitant to drive 50 miles to deal with people who can't figure out how to answer simple questions.