Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: P1404 CEL tonight...

Exclamation P1404 CEL tonight...

So my VX seems to finally be having EGR problems. On way home today I got a CEL which I quickly found out via my scanguage is P1404, which translates to a stuck EGR from what I can see.

I think I would rather just opt for a new EGR, what do you guys think?

Also, depending on how long it takes to get this part, what kind of issues does this cause while driving? I have noticed that my VX seems to be drinking more oil than usual, so I am hoping maybe replacing the EGR valve with alleviate some of this...

Thanks - Bart

its pretty cheap and easy to clean the egr.. i think the gasket i ordered from merlin was like 8 bucks.. and turned out to really not need it.. but i replaced it since i had it anyway..

i had an EGR related CEL last month.... it was easy enough to clean...

disconnected wires on top (one plug)

used socket w/ extension to remove two bolts (one is easily visible, the other mirrors that but its hard to see)

lift top part of EGR valve off and set aside upside down filled with sensor safe carb cleaner

plug the larger of the two holes now exposed in your engine bay

start the vx

spray carb cleaner into the remaining (smaller) hole a whole lot until you run out of carb cleaner or get really bored.. just take care not to stall the vx..

dump the carb cleaner out of the half of the EGR you removed.. spray it down a couple more times to get anything broken loose out

put your egr back (dont forget to unplug the hole)

bolt it in place

be sure to wash your hands before touching your leather steering wheel

Is it worth it to buy a whole new EGR valve or is cleaning it just as good?

Thanks, E!

Bart

Bart, just did a search with NAPA: Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve CRB 226335 $194.00. For that kind of money, think I would try the cleaning first. And if that doesn't cure the problem, well, the next time you have to remove the valve to replace it, it will be easier. Do use a new gasket or gasket material and a ball peen-hammer if you know that trick to making your own.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thumbs up

Well, I went ahead and replaced my EGR and gasket today. It was really easy and so far so good. I figure with 80,000 miles it would be best to replace it rather than clean the old rusty one.

Bart

hey all, I tried replacing the EGR today, after getting a P0401. THought I hada good deal when I got it for like $140 at advance auto pars, and the guy rung up an other 10% off because I was in uniform at the time (just picking it up during lunch because the CEL came on that morning coming into work). Anyway, longish/shortish story even shorter, the EGR they sold me don't fit.

The plug is upside down, for one. I tried making it work, the plugs will fit, but th "notch" that keeps it from falling out is on the other side, so it's only friction keepng it in. But the bigger issue is that it's at a horizontal. The isuzu egr has the plugs vertical. I cant get it all to bolt on if the plgs come out like that ebcuase an unrelated hose is in the way.

I'm off to return it. ARe there parts numbers here? THe computer they rang up was keyed into 1999 isuzu vehicross, and thats what i got...
    THIS WE'LL DEFEND

rockauto.com have what looks exactly like the one I changed on mine earlier this year. They're about $127 before the discount code I'm about to post.

Linky to the part

Your discount code is:

Using Your Discount Code
    Enter the code above in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart. If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Apply" button to the right of the field. Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

Please note: We sometimes get calls from people who put the word "discount" in front of their code and do not get the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers.

The discount takes 5% off our already-low prices. There's no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with friends, neighbors, relatives, the guy at the corner garage--anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on January 3, 2010; so don't wait!

Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!
    Hope that helps,

Alan
    Last edited by alanbradley : 11/07/2009 at 08:46 AM Reason: missed stuff out

Yeah. I have found one tidbit of info for anyone else entering P0401, and EGR replacement issues, etc. in their search queries. Advance AUto has the wrong aftermarket part listed in the computers (sold for about $140). THey have the Isuzu part that I don't believe any stores carry, but can order, for about $240.

OReilly, on the other hand, has the correct replacement part listed in the computers (about $180). Funny thing, it's the same brand as the one Avance offers, but it more correctly has the plug vertically on the top. The one Advance has, has it on the top, but horizontally, so as to make it impossible to install on the VX. LIkewise, the socket for the plug has the retaing notch on the opposite side, so even if you could get the plug in while the EGR valve is in place, the plug would be tenously held in place by friction alone.

Oh, and it seems almost all auto parts stores have a military discount. All these years, and I never knew that...I coulda been saving 10% on the probably thousands I've spent, cumulatively.

And the Autozone in north DOthan, AL has unscrupulous workers who try and lie to your face and disregard posted sale signs that re directly behind them. Other than that, southern Alabamans are supremely friendly people.

I had the code for the EGR about a year ago.
    Took off the EGR, be careful with the gasket and you might be able to use again. Sprayed intake cleaner and fixed the problem. I have not had the code since then.

Global Automotive

If you elect to buy a new one...do not order off e-bay...Global Automotive sent me an EGR valve...it was DOA and they refuse to take the part back...please let all your friends know that Global Automotive is ripping people off.

dont forget

to use paypal and refuse to let them pay because of inoperable part and to report the seller. Ebay is okay if buyers take the time to use the tools to keep poor buyers honest. I am ding my best to get wholesale auto parts booted or at least clean up their act of posting every part they have as fitting every car catagory ebay has. They offer a spare tire cover for the VX

I had Isuzu do mine, they cleaned some tube/hose out also. They called it an egr service or something. Cost like 3bills
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by ojmagg View Post
    If you elect to buy a new one...do not order off e-bay...Global Automotive sent me an EGR valve...it was DOA and they refuse to take the part back...please let all your friends know that Global Automotive is ripping people off.
    Sorry, what do you mean by: "DOA"? I bought one with Global and still have the EGR code....

DOA=Dead On Arrival
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Okay, I replaced my EGR valve a few months ago to fix a P1401 code. Everythings fine. MOnths go by, but now P1404 pops up. I reset and it comes back on a week later. The EGR is dirty with carbon (already!), I clean it, and the valve still seems to open/close just fine. I don't think its the connection. I'm gonna put it back in and reset and see if CEL comes back. I've never had P1404, is there anything that could cause it other than the EGR itself? Any sugestions?
    Last edited by spaceCADETzoom : 03/03/2010 at 09:18 AM