Thread: There's got to be a solution??? (THERE IS, PROBLEM SOLVED!)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

There's got to be a solution??? (THERE IS, PROBLEM SOLVED!)

From all indications and all the searches I've done here, my VX is running wayyy rich... black carbon residue on the tail pipe, constant... I wipe it off and it's back after about 200 miles driving.

Surging idle, goes down to like 100-200rpm (almost stalls) then goes up to about 1100rpm, then back down... does this 8-10 times then levels to 750rpm or so and purrs like a kitten.

The other day I was doing about 55mph and floored it to pass a truck (and to have some fun) and got up to about 70-75 mph and it bogged down and the CEL started flashing and then it died... lost all power, had to pull over fast 'n dangerous... turned it off for about 10 seconds and started right up and no problem pulled back onto the highway and about a mile later CEL on, was coding p0101... cleaned the EGR, and it was all full of carbon and I had just cleaned it 3 months ago, and it went away...

Now I had used acetone for 4 tankfuls and was getting better mpg's. I'm on the second tankful with no acetone and I'm still getting good mpg's. but now this started.

I've read through several searches different threads stating certain problems are caused by running too rich but what's the solution/fix? How do I get it to run a little leaner? Is there an adjusting screw? An ECU fix? Anything?

Thanks in advance for any help...

edit:
    Oh yeah, I also cleaned the MAF... I think... I sprayed it out with sensor safe cleaner... is that all there is to do to clean it? Spray?
    Also, Where is the MAS? Is it the little 'barrel' sensor on the air intake tube about half way between the MAF and the intake manifold? (throttle body(?)) If not, where is it?
    Last edited by iamironman : 11/12/2008 at 04:14 PM
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman