Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
edit:
Oh yeah, I also cleaned the MAF... I think... I sprayed it out with sensor safe cleaner... is that all there is to do to clean it? Spray?
Also, Where is the MAS? Is it the little 'barrel' sensor on the air intake tube about half way between the MAF and the intake manifold? (throttle body(?)) If not, where is it?
I think the sensor you described is the intake air temp...in a rubber grommet on the intake tube, between the air filter & the throttle body?
The MAF should be cleaned with MAF cleaner only, CRC makes a good product for this.
I can't remember the loca of the MAS on the stock manifold, maybe someone will chime in with a pic. You might also be able to find it in the VX shop manual. (from the "downloads" section of the right sidebar)
FWIW, my tailpipe has been sooty & black for the last 4 & 1/2 yrs.
I think the FPR is a good place to start, also check out all the vacuum hoses.
Spraying brake cleaner or carb cleaner (anything that's extremely flammable) at the base of the intake manifold on both sides (while idleing), where it mates with the heads, & listening for an increase in idle speed, is a good way to check for intake gasket leaks...to be done at your own risk...