Thread: subwoofer/ sound quality question..

subwoofer/ sound quality question..

thinking about tweaking the sound system again..

right now i have..

Infinity 5 channel amp (4x50 and 1x300 at 2 ohms)

Boston Acoustics SX60 components w/ crossovers in the front

Rockford Fosgate shallow mount 6.5 2 ways in the rear

2 Rockford Fosgate 8" (stage 1) subwoofers in separate sealed (and very heavy) enclosure (they are 4 ohm rated at 150w each, i have them wired in parallel to make the effective resistance 2 ohms)

I'm starting to get tired of my sub box taking up so much cargo space... don't really want to go with a rear door mounted woofer.. so im thinking of going to a single 10" or 12" setup, but dont want to lose sound quality... right now my bass blends near perfect with everything else. any input on how 1 large sub would compare to two smaller subs as far as sound quality goes? Will i lose some overall volume/ sound pressure by moving to a 300w (at 2ohms) woofer from a pair of 150w 8" (at 4 ohms) getting the exact same feed

'01 Ebony Black VX, 0801; '01 Kaiser Silver VX, 1002

2 Eights in the rear door.....

Etlsport,
    I like tight accurate base, so I built in 2 eight inch subs (Polk db series) with sealed enclosures into the spare tire compartment. I also had room in there for a four x 70 watt amp for my full range speakers, and a two x 100 watt amp for the subs. It's balanced well, and is all the volume I need inside the VX. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them in my gallery for you.

Randy

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    etl....your going to lose some volume, however you are going to get a deeper richer bass...

along with a wider frequency range in most cases....

one important thing to look for when buying subwoofers is to look into the frequency response...the wider freqency response, the more it is going to 'fill' sound....

the best thing for you to do, would be to find out what fq range your speakers have...

say your speakers only go as low as 180hz then you wanna look for a sub that goes from say 40hz to 140hz...
    that way...your speakers cover 120khz-180hz and your sub covers 40hz to 140hz...

if you dont have full fulfillment of frequency then you are going to get an appearance of an 'unfull sound'....

thats the short and quick version...

i already know im going to get criticism on my example...and for other sound buffs....its been a while since i studied or tested for MECP so im just giving examples, so that he can understand the concept...

hope that helps...btw, my credentials...i have installed at circuit city for 2 years and now about 4 months at best buy....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Shouldn't you be focusing on a lift rather than a soundsystem upgrade???

Functional first ... then go for bling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Well I have the JVC DVD player head unit powering the 4 Infinity Component Speakers and just got the Infinity Mono 400w@4ohm Amp and have a 12" JL audio sub in the rear door sub box, I will let you know how it sounds as soon I install it, should be done by next week.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Well I have the JVC DVD player head unit powering the 4 Infinity Component Speakers and just got the Infinity Mono 400w@4ohm Amp and have a 12" JL audio sub in the rear door sub box, I will let you know how it sounds as soon I install it, should be done by next week.
    This is exactly the same set I've been shooting for. Except for the sub brand. I will be interested to here what you think.

Keep your current setup and get a new amp for sub (d-class)and one of these:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=30

tweak your 8in for midbass,

best of all worlds^^