Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Error Code 300: Enigine Misfire

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    The timing belt is at the front of the engine. It keeps the valves in sync with the pistons. Like the name implies, it controls the valve timing. If you've no wrench time, I don't think this is the place I'd start my education alone. It's not terribly difficult, just exacting. No room for error. 100k is change time (I usually do them sometime after 70k because it is such a huge P.I.A. when they go. You will see the procedure in the download shop manual Tone provided us. Buy some beer, get a wrench friend (a competent wrench) and spend an afternoon getting dirty.....or fork over a few hundred to a garage and get it done. There've been a few belt horror stories on here. I think Indiana VXs' went on the longest.....way too long.
    Yeah, I just rolled 80k and have been thinking about getting this done sooner than later. My fear is that a shop will only eff up and make matters worse.

I will definitely be providing the TSB about changing the timing belt to whoever I give my VX over to when its time to get this done.

I'm still scared though. I would love to do it myself with someone who knows exactly how to do it.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlewis9333 View Post
    Chopper, please elaborate about the timing belt. I'm no mechanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    The timing belt is at the front of the engine. It keeps the valves in sync with the pistons. Like the name implies, it controls the valve timing. If you've no wrench time, I don't think this is the place I'd start my education alone. It's not terribly difficult, just exacting. No room for error. 100k is change time (I usually do them sometime after 70k because it is such a huge P.I.A. when they go. You will see the procedure in the download shop manual Tone provided us. Buy some beer, get a wrench friend (a competent wrench) and spend an afternoon getting dirty.....or fork over a few hundred to a garage and get it done. There've been a few belt horror stories on here. I think Indiana VXs' went on the longest.....way too long.
    Here is a great set of vids re: timing belt...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=timing+belt

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlewis9333 View Post
    I just cut my allen wrench using a Dremmel tool cutting blade that I put on my drill.

Dremels ROCK!!!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    My fear is that a shop will only eff up and make matters worse.
    When I inquired with my now-no-longer-Isuzu dealer about the timing belt, I was quoted under $400 for the job - CHEAP! I would bring it to a dealer as they've no doubt done quite a few Isuzu 3.5L t-belts before, if maybe not in a VX.

Of course, I had the indie shop that did my S/C install do the t-belt at the same time, and paid like $700 for the job. :-(