Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt Parts

Bart, do you have the timing belt replacement instructional video? If you don’t I can put it on YouTube for you.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    Bart, do you have the timing belt replacement instructional video? If you don’t I can put it on YouTube for you.
    Hmmm, I might have it. What did it come with? I have a huge folder full of VX stuff on my PC at home so I will have to check for it. Is there are common file name for it I could check for? Thanks man!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Hmmm, I might have it. What did it come with? I have a huge folder full of VX stuff on my PC at home so I will have to check for it. Is there are common file name for it I could check for? Thanks man!

Bart
    I don’t remember how I got it, it was about a year or so ago. I was thinking of post it anyway, I’ll add a link as soon as it’s done.

Here it is, I just finished uploading it. I’ve replaced the timing belts on about 4 vehicles in my day. This video is best step by step I’ve seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhNO...e=channel_page

Here it is, I just finished uploading it. I’ve replaced the timing belts on about 4 vehicles in my day. This video is best step by step I’ve seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjhNO...e=channel_page
    Awesome, thanks! I will check out when I get home tonight!

Bart

I brought these timing belt videos to the internet right here in 2007. You can bet that anywhere that these videos exist on the internet is due to my original post here. I'd be shocked if these vids didn't get lifted to that Russian ftp site. Scott copied 'em and has them hosted here also at vx.info with my original thread in the how to's section. If I ever disappear and they're not on my host site, the vids and images will always be on this site.
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Content&file=viewarticle&id=37

Here's all my stuff again so ya don't have to click to another thread. If anybody can add photos or a write-up with new info not found here, please do. I also posted this stuff over at the Planet and a guy who completely lost the timing found this info worked exactly right to get it running again.

These vids are small and a bit rough to keep the file size down. They're instructional and not for entertainment, so as long as the message gets thru, that's what counts. WMV files only.

This one is for changing the belt if the timing has not been disrupted.
    8:12 and 14.2 mb-
    http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/timebelt.wmv

This vid is for changing the belt when the timing has been lost.
    5:39 and 11.9 mb-
    http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/timing2.wmv

Another one for when the timing has been lost showing it in a different way.
    4:00 and 4.4 mb-
    http://www.drivehq.com/file/df.aspx/publish/mgpa/techvids/timing.wmv

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 03/18/2009 at 05:09 PM

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Do the pump and gasket, make sure you replace the tensioner. Don't let anyone talk you out of it, brother Bart
    Well, even good 'ol Merlin tried to talk me out of that $287.88 part, but I resisted my internal sense of cheapness and bought it anyway.

Here is a breakdown of what I purchased for the timing belt stuff and the price tag from Merlin:

1) Timing Belt - $58.79
    2) Water Pump - $156.79
    3) Tensioner Pulley - $287.88
    4) Push Rod - $77.74
    5) Post/Stud - $14
    6) Upper Radiator Hose - $25.13
    7) Lower Radiator Hose - $18.07
    8) O-rings (coolant leak fix) - $6.58
    9) Idler Pulley - $101.44

Plus a few other bits and pieces bringing me to a *quite* painful $784.88!!!

Now, at that cost, I definitely need to do the job myself. I ain't paying another huge sum for a mech to do it!!

I also asked Merlin about changing the radiator itself, and he said it really isn't necessary unless you are having problems. So, I didn't order a new radiator. But, I will be pulling it out, so is there a way to clean a radiator? I would at least like to do that.

Thanks everyone for the excellent help.

Bart

That’s where I got it! Sorry deermagnet. I should just assume that all the VX wmv files I have are yours.

Bart,
    All I’d do to the radiator is clean it really good. You could go get it pressure tested, But other then that there’s not mush ells you can do.
    Last edited by kodiak : 03/23/2009 at 03:56 PM

Bart,
    All I’d do to the radiator is clean it really good. You could go get it pressure tested, But other then that there’s not mush ells you can do.
    OK, cool, but how? Do I just run some water over it??? Hose it down??

Thanks - Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    OK, cool, but how? Do I just run some water over it??? Hose it down??

Thanks - Bart
    That’s about it. But some dish soap and a tooth brush can help in the really tuff spots.

P.S. Don’t paint it. It will make your radiator less efficient.

P.S. Don’t paint it. It will make your radiator less efficient.
    Paint it? Why would I paint it? It's not like I already paint every visible piece of my VX black or anything....

Thanks, Richard!

Bart

You can have your radiator rodded out at a radiator shop depending on the radiator. It's just like cleaning your gun barrel after shooting. It just pushes out all the accumulated crud and gunk that has been building up in there since day one. You could probably do it yourself too. I think you just have to remove the side caps which give you access to the radiator cores which are just horizontal tubes. Then find the right size rod to use(like possibly a .223 or .308 brass jag).
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    You can have your radiator rodded out at a radiator shop depending on the radiator. It's just like cleaning your gun barrel after shooting. It just pushes out all the accumulated crud and gunk that has been building up in there since day one. You could probably do it yourself too. I think you just have to remove the side caps which give you access to the radiator cores which are just horizontal tubes. Then find the right size rod to use(like possibly a .223 or .308 brass jag).
    Cool, thanks. Hopefully I will tackle this project next month or at least no later than May.

You boys are welcome to come by and help out/observe.

Bart

Having purchased all the parts from Merlin I had the timing belt replaced yesterday. Labor charge was $320.00. Does that seem reasonable?
    Scott

Yeah, that’s sound about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Having purchased all the parts from Merlin I had the timing belt replaced yesterday. Labor charge was $320.00. Does that seem reasonable?