Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Timing Belt Parts

Thumbs up

w00t! Tonight I got everything buttoned up. I refilled the coolant, connected the battery, and cranked her over!

S U C C E S S ! !

I am so relieved. I still have to put the front cladding on and replace the front skid plate, but other than that, all appears to be normal!!

I had to make one final run to Kragen tonight at 8:45 to get a hose clamp as I broke one of the hose clamps when I was putting the radiator hoses back on.

She started right up, no CEL, no rough running, sounded fine if not better than normal, took her for a real short spin around the block, gave her some serious throttle and nothing seemed normal. In fact, my VX seems to be running and shifting smoother than ever. I have no idea why, but maybe changing these parts out does something for performance?????

Anyway, I'm super tired, and dirty, and I need to finish my beer, but I can say now with confidence that this is DEFINITELY something we can all do, especially once my instructions are all done!!

Bart

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

w00t! Tonight I got everything buttoned up. I refilled the coolant, connected the battery, and cranked her over!

S U C C E S S ! !

I am so relieved. I still have to put the front cladding on and replace the front skid plate, but other than that, all appears to be normal!!

I had to make one final run to Kragen tonight at 8:45 to get a hose clamp as I broke one of the hose clamps when I was putting the radiator hoses back on.

She started right up, no CEL, no rough running, sounded fine if not better than normal, took her for a real short spin around the block, gave her some serious throttle and nothing seemed normal. In fact, my VX seems to be running and shifting smoother than ever. I have no idea why, but maybe changing these parts out does something for performance?????

Anyway, I'm super tired, and dirty, and I need to finish my beer, but I can say now with confidence that this is DEFINITELY something we can all do, especially once my instructions are all done!!

Bart
    You sir are my hero! I've got this operation for my VX coming up shortly and I am probably going to turn it over to my mechanic as I don't think I want to tackle this.

If I do work up the courage...I have you to thank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    You sir are my hero! I've got this operation for my VX coming up shortly and I am probably going to turn it over to my mechanic as I don't think I want to tackle this.

If I do work up the courage...I have you to thank!
    Thanks! In all seriousness though, it is not that bad. I think it would be a little more frustrating/difficult if your belt was broken and your timing was off to start. But doing this as a regular maintenance step, it's pretty straight forward. Like I said above, get organized, get the tools ready, take your time, and you CAN do it.

I am going to start working on a Word document tomorrow that I can turn into a PDF file. I guess it's time for me to put a how-to section on my website as well. I'm going to do my tranny service again soon so I might as well document that also.

Stay tuned.

Bart

You, Sir, are a steely-eyed missile man!
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Didnt know you were working on it this weekend. I havent been on this thread really.

I put a new power steering line on Cari's Jeep and lifted it on saturday.

Not to brag or anything...my jeep is now taller than Clint's VX. SORRY Babe!!!

Congrats Bart. I will be looking forward to your write up (with parts and tool list?) so I can tackle this myself. I guess that I had better wait for the weather to stablize here so if it goes past a weekend thing I can ride the bike or the motorcycle to work.

Nothing like a job well done.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    Congrats Bart. I will be looking forward to your write up (with parts and tool list?) so I can tackle this myself. I guess that I had better wait for the weather to stablize here so if it goes past a weekend thing I can ride the bike or the motorcycle to work.

Nothing like a job well done.
    Yup, yes, yeah! I will have a full breakdown completed soon, tools, parts, tips, warnings, it's all gonna be in there!

I took my time, I mean, I really took my time. I would definitely think this could be done in one day, especially once the questions are all out of the way. But, I would rather give myself a full weekend, even if I was to do it again.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. CRNCNN View Post
    Not to brag or anything...my jeep is now taller than Clint's VX. SORRY Babe!!!
    You just need some nice meat under there now.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    You just need some nice meat under there now.

Bart
    Under hers or mine? Her's has nice meat now, thats why she is taller. I need some to get back to higher status.

Bart,

When you get the pdf done, you can't post it to the How2 yet. Scott's working on that.

What you can do is to upload it to the DownLoad section & if you ask real nice, maybe Scott will move it to the How2 section for you.

I just put pdf's of Kenny's and of Dave Chang's bearing repack there as well if anyone needs them.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Way to go Bart. Nailing this job is no easy feat. Should be an inspiration to all of us who know we need to change the timing belt and spend some quality time with our VX.

John
    John
    99 Silver VX

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxVx View Post
    Way to go Bart. Nailing this job is no easy feat. Should be an inspiration to all of us who know we need to change the timing belt and spend some quality time with our VX.

John
    Quality time is right! Actually, I really quite enjoyed digging into my VX and getting to know more about her! I learned A LOT and I have been working up my how-to ALL DAY.

Thanks!!!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Under hers or mine? Her's has nice meat now, thats why she is taller. I need some to get back to higher status.
    Never!!! hehe!!

I finally finished converting Bart's write up to pdf. I'll get it posted later today. I'll post the link to it here if anyone wants to download it.

I tried not to take many artistic freedoms with the conversion. Where he used colored text, I used highlight. I added Step 6 (it was missing). I renumbered steps 38 through the end (there were 2 step 38's). Oh yeah, I added step 57 ... just 'cause ...

Bart did an excellent job on this & it's well worth adding to your archive for future use.

Tom

Moncha's Da Man. He's already gotten the file posted.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=63