Thread: Timing Belt Parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can have your radiator rodded out at a radiator shop depending on the radiator. It's just like cleaning your gun barrel after shooting. It just pushes out all the accumulated crud and gunk that has been building up in there since day one. You could probably do it yourself too. I think you just have to remove the side caps which give you access to the radiator cores which are just horizontal tubes. Then find the right size rod to use(like possibly a .223 or .308 brass jag).
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    You can have your radiator rodded out at a radiator shop depending on the radiator. It's just like cleaning your gun barrel after shooting. It just pushes out all the accumulated crud and gunk that has been building up in there since day one. You could probably do it yourself too. I think you just have to remove the side caps which give you access to the radiator cores which are just horizontal tubes. Then find the right size rod to use(like possibly a .223 or .308 brass jag).
    Cool, thanks. Hopefully I will tackle this project next month or at least no later than May.

You boys are welcome to come by and help out/observe.

Bart

Having purchased all the parts from Merlin I had the timing belt replaced yesterday. Labor charge was $320.00. Does that seem reasonable?
    Scott

Yeah, that’s sound about right.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Having purchased all the parts from Merlin I had the timing belt replaced yesterday. Labor charge was $320.00. Does that seem reasonable?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I have the whole front end apart right now. Radiator, hoses, fan, timing belt covers, it's all out. Been at it (taking my time and taking photos) since 8:30am.

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    wow...looks like time to make a run to go get some brews to keep you going for a few more hours...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

HALP!

It's 7:30, and I am done for today. All I can say is that there are a lot of learn-as-you-go things that happened today.

The manual sucks, says stuff like "remove this part", but it does not tell you how, doesn't tell you how many bolts/nuts to unwind, nothin.

At this point I am ready to remove the belt, but I am very confused.

Watching the timing belt video makes it look like the hash marks on THE BELT, THE PULLY, AND THE HOUSING should line up. In my case, no matter how many times I turn the engine, all three marks DO NOT line up. So, I take it I am simply supposed to line up the marks on the belt, with the marks on the engine housing, ignoring the position of the the marks on the pulleys.
    Has anyone done this who knows the procedure? I am nervous about doing it wrong. I have turned the engine at least 6 or more times trying to get everything to line up with no success.

I have time to do this, so hopefully someone can reply and give me some info. Otherwise I may have to wait until Monday so I can call Merlin or my local Isuzu mech. Here are some photos of what I mean:

This is the LEFT BANK PULLY and the respective marks. You can see the line on the belt is aligned with the hash mark on the housing but NOT aligned with the mark on the pulley. WTF? The bottom photo is the same with the marks in red.

Thanks - Bart