Thread: Timing Belt Parts

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

w00t! Tonight I got everything buttoned up. I refilled the coolant, connected the battery, and cranked her over!

S U C C E S S ! !

I am so relieved. I still have to put the front cladding on and replace the front skid plate, but other than that, all appears to be normal!!

I had to make one final run to Kragen tonight at 8:45 to get a hose clamp as I broke one of the hose clamps when I was putting the radiator hoses back on.

She started right up, no CEL, no rough running, sounded fine if not better than normal, took her for a real short spin around the block, gave her some serious throttle and nothing seemed normal. In fact, my VX seems to be running and shifting smoother than ever. I have no idea why, but maybe changing these parts out does something for performance?????

Anyway, I'm super tired, and dirty, and I need to finish my beer, but I can say now with confidence that this is DEFINITELY something we can all do, especially once my instructions are all done!!

Bart

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post

w00t! Tonight I got everything buttoned up. I refilled the coolant, connected the battery, and cranked her over!

S U C C E S S ! !

I am so relieved. I still have to put the front cladding on and replace the front skid plate, but other than that, all appears to be normal!!

I had to make one final run to Kragen tonight at 8:45 to get a hose clamp as I broke one of the hose clamps when I was putting the radiator hoses back on.

She started right up, no CEL, no rough running, sounded fine if not better than normal, took her for a real short spin around the block, gave her some serious throttle and nothing seemed normal. In fact, my VX seems to be running and shifting smoother than ever. I have no idea why, but maybe changing these parts out does something for performance?????

Anyway, I'm super tired, and dirty, and I need to finish my beer, but I can say now with confidence that this is DEFINITELY something we can all do, especially once my instructions are all done!!

Bart
    You sir are my hero! I've got this operation for my VX coming up shortly and I am probably going to turn it over to my mechanic as I don't think I want to tackle this.

If I do work up the courage...I have you to thank!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    You sir are my hero! I've got this operation for my VX coming up shortly and I am probably going to turn it over to my mechanic as I don't think I want to tackle this.

If I do work up the courage...I have you to thank!
    Thanks! In all seriousness though, it is not that bad. I think it would be a little more frustrating/difficult if your belt was broken and your timing was off to start. But doing this as a regular maintenance step, it's pretty straight forward. Like I said above, get organized, get the tools ready, take your time, and you CAN do it.

I am going to start working on a Word document tomorrow that I can turn into a PDF file. I guess it's time for me to put a how-to section on my website as well. I'm going to do my tranny service again soon so I might as well document that also.

Stay tuned.

Bart

You, Sir, are a steely-eyed missile man!
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.