Thread: Silverstone Modifications steel brake lines on eBay

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal

Silverstone Modifications steel brake lines on eBay

Hi all!

Has anyone bought steel brake lines from Silverstone Modifications on eBay?

Any problems? Crap? Quality? Any feedback would be great... At $70 they are very, very reasonable.

Thanks!

I bought a set... never installed them though

they look like they're well built though.

installed SS lines on several other vehicles and those were just as well constructed as any other.

no idea on fitment though since again, I never installed them.

I was installing new front calipers rotors and pads and wanted to do the lines as well, but where the OEM ones connected to the hardlines was rusted petty bad and I was worried about breaking the hardline, and I didn't have access to tools to repair the hardlines if I did mess them up... OEM lines looked fine so I just left them on and decided to the SS lines another day.

If there is anything in particular you want to know just shoot me a PM or something.

Well, I just bought a set of them for $64, so next week the VX is getting new front pads & rotors, front bearings repacked, SS brake lines front & back, and fresh brake fluid. I will report back...

So get this - they sent me a set of 5 brake lines (one for each caliper and another which runs from the rear axle forward toward the engine). The mechanic said that the 4 to the calipers went in perfectly, but the swage-lock-type nuts on each end of the fifth line didn't have the right thread pattern on them. Huh... so I email these guys at Silverstone Modifications, and they said that the VX kit is only supposed to have 4 lines in it and that there must have been a mix-up in the shipping department, which is why I got a 5-line kit. I am still questioning this nonsense...

Has anyone run into a similar situation? If you upgraded to braided-steel brake lines, did you get a line to replace the fifth one?

Any experiences at all would be appreciated... Thanks!

my lines ordered from indy4x came with 5 lines.. and all 5 are currently on my vx

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    my lines ordered from indy4x came with 5 lines.. and all 5 are currently on my vx
    same-same...

Ask them "what's the point of having S-S lines being fed in the rear by a rubber line???"
    Kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    same-same...

Ask them "what's the point of having S-S lines being fed in the rear by a rubber line???"
    Kind of defeats the purpose.
    I would, but they are not replying to my questions (maybe the last one, "So are you saying that you are knowingly selling an incomplete kit for the VehiCROSS, or are you saying that you just don't know what size connectors to use on the VehiCROSS, for which you sell a kit?" might have turned them off of me and my sweet charms...). If I could just get the right line out of them, I'd install it separately, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I would imagine there will be a notable improvement in pedal feel even with one of the rubber lines in place - the stretch factor will still be reduced by about 80% or so.

Oh well - now we know... avoid Silverstone Modifications!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    I would, but they are not replying to my questions (maybe the last one, "So are you saying that you are knowingly selling an incomplete kit for the VehiCROSS, or are you saying that you just don't know what size connectors to use on the VehiCROSS, for which you sell a kit?" might have turned them off of me and my sweet charms...). If I could just get the right line out of them, I'd install it separately, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I would imagine there will be a notable improvement in pedal feel even with one of the rubber lines in place - the stretch factor will still be reduced by about 80% or so.

Oh well - now we know... avoid Silverstone Modifications!
    LoL...you & your "sweet charms"...

Been having the same problems lately with peeps understanding mine......
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/11/2008 at 07:37 AM Reason: correct "rum spelling"

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Been havivg the same problems lately with peeps understanding mine......
    Hah! I was thinking about that situation when I posted. Some people come across better in writing, some better in person.

Anyone who's spent time on web forums should be familiar with this phenomenon. Heck, anyone who has gotten into a tiff with someone via email or txt messaging should know about this!

Tone is what imparts meaning to humans. Typing has no tone - so readers fill the void for themselves...

Getting back on-topic... I got the VX back last night, and the brakes feel great! The pedal is a lot firmer (I think replacing the fluid actually improved the braking performance) and it's all smooth again. Happy day! They came in under "book time" for the work, too. I think I like my Isuzu dealer better now that they are not an Isuzu dealer anymore! The service writer told me that their Isuzu tech Joe loves the VX and makes a point of showing it to everyone there. He especially likes mine because of the super-charger, apparently.

This is just about a perfect situation for me - I take TWO cars to a dealership that has a skilled and experienced Isuzu mechanic that loves my truck and will now install any part I ask them to, and on the cheap, too. I hope it lasts!!