Thread: Does a SC need break in time?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Does a SC need break in time?

When you add a SC to a 47,000 mile engine do you need to break it in slow/hard or anything? how many miles to break it in? What type of driving is the best to break it in with? I have never done major engine mods and have no clue if it even really needs to be broken in.

Thanx in advance,
    Alan

Can't say about a 47K engine. I broke my SC in at 10K & have never taken my foot off the pedal. I guess that why I bought it!

Bob
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

So you actually do have to break it in, or just drive normally? In other words can I floor it? I want to go race at the drag strip this next weekend, is a week enough to get it broken in? I will be making a long trip in the mean time.

this is what we do at work to break them in !!! go to this link and click on were it says "ONE KICK *** MOTOR"
    http://www.perfmar.com/ shawn
    1COOLVX

I don't think you have to "break in" your SC, though the computer will probably take a few hundred miles to adapt to all the extra air you're ramming into the engine.

A few things you should do?
    -Make sure you run all the regular gas out of the tank and fill it with Hi-test.
    -Make sure you change your oil at the 3K intervals, since the SC's going to make your engine run hotter.
    -Make sure there aren't any cops sitting at the red light with you when you floor it on the green.
    -Check the tightness of the SC belt after a few hundred miles, since it will stretch and there is no automatic tensioner.
    -Don't sweat the "high mileage" on your motor, mine is still running good and strong at 87K.

Have fun with the new found power and drive safe!

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    Originally posted by Zu4two

-Make sure you run all the regular gas out of the tank and fill it with Hi-test.
    I do not see the reason for this. Yes, higher octane rating would help avoid predetonation and yield greater performance, but it is not required.

Well thanx for the suggestions. I already run 92 octane and thats the highest you can find in Alaska unless you use some race gas. I always change my oil every 3,000 miles with fully synthetic so I am definately good there too. Will be sure to check the belt after my road trip to Soldotna this weekend. Can't really floor it on the green in town anymore, 1 more point on my liscense and I lose it. Thats the main reason I go to the track now, so I can get it out of my system once a week.

Thanx again
    Alan

I ran premium for a bit, then noticed other SC owners on the boards were running regular and didn't see a difference. I decided to switch and haven't seen a noticable difference.

By the way, any word on when you get your SC'd VX back???

supposedly today but the way things have been going... I don't know

Just talked to Northern 4x4 and they said to cross my fingers, it might just be done today!