Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Green Diamond MT's

Wink

Thanks...I laughed at the comments in the gallery feedback!

Here is some more opinions on snow worthiness:

I won't know the full capabilities of these tires until I get 1000-2000 miles on them and the granules surface; but, on plowed & snow covered roads they are great out of the box.

On bare dry roads they seem to grip fine and the noise level is remeniscent of low range while driving...I caught myself looking a couple of times to see if I was still in low range because the hum is quite similar. (I use low range alot to go up my driveway 'cause its somewhat steep.)

I found a road that wasn't plowed and had fields off to both sides so the wind had duned up the snow to about 1.5 feet deep and at slow speed..say 20-25 mph in low range they ate it up with no trouble at all.

I did hit a road that wasn't plowed..but had been heavily traveled and had about 10" of snow with ruts...I did get squirrely here and had to get out of the gas in TOD. Pulled over and put it in low lock and at about 35mph it seemed pretty stable. Any faster and the back end would kick out a bit.
    I attribute this to the fact its a bigger tire than normal for snow use and that there is no siping in the tire for snow use...

On a big positive note...I had a doe run out in front of me at about 45-50mph and had to slam on the brakes and wasn't expecting them to stop so good...there was alot of doubt in my mind at the time...so when they break in they will only be better!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

@ approx. 500 miles of wear on tires...some of their teeth are beginning to show

It supposed to take up to 1k miles for the full effect to begin.

*****on a different topic, I would like to send special thanks to LDub for helping me get a minor lift done on Friday. It was 34 degrees here in PA and snow on my driveway....thought "no way am I gonna lie out in that to do a 2" lift on my VX". Went inside...watched weather channel and noticed how cold it was in Fargo...thought "wow, its pretty warm here..heck..I'm going to go outside & do that lift!" LOL!
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 01/03/2009 at 01:48 PM

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hey, just a note...

be careful how far you crank your T-bars without raising the rear...

if you go past -1 rake to the front you will have drive axle problems in the long run...

bimati had this problem with his and he couldnt solve it, caused him to sell...

i found this out because i bought my ome912's from the guy who bought bimati's ride....he works at a tranny shop and he said that trooper and VX cant have less than -1 rake to the front or else they have drive axle problems...

he lowered bimati's front torsion bars and BAM problems gone....

just some advise...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    hey, just a note...

be careful how far you crank your T-bars without raising the rear...

if you go past -1 rake to the front you will have drive axle problems in the long run...

bimati had this problem with his and he couldnt solve it, caused him to sell...

i found this out because i bought my ome912's from the guy who bought bimati's ride....he works at a tranny shop and he said that trooper and VX cant have less than -1 rake to the front or else they have drive axle problems...

he lowered bimati's front torsion bars and BAM problems gone....

just some advise...
    I'm not 100% sure I grasp what you're saying completely; but, I used Independent4X.com's (2") coil spring spacers for the rear and raised the front 8 turns each side (4 turns = approx. 1"....so 8 turns = approx. 2") which should end up raising all four corner's approx. 2".

Stock I had some small rake where the front-end was a bit lower than the rear. After lifting, I still have some rake where the front-end is a bit lower than the rear. I got it aligned today, and the camber was off as expected after cranking t-bars. Thanks for the head's up! I'll keep an eye out for any trouble. So far, I had it up to around 60 today and it felt good!

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ok, ya all im saying is that if your front end isnt lower than your rear you will have problems...

Wink

The Good news....I love these tires and was planning on replacing them when they wore out with the same and possibly 33" if they offered that size by then....................

The Bad news.....I was passing through a small town I've never been to before and ran over something really nasty...saw it fly out my rear fenderweld in my side mirror...looked like about the same size as a brake pad...thought it might be mine...yikes...pulled over (was only doing 25mph) and as I hopped out to investigate could hear air rushing out of the tire. It wasn't flat until I got out my jack. I didn't want to put the new spare on the rear axle as the other tires are probably about 1/3 to 1/2 worn...afraid of the limited slip having issues. Put the new spare on the left front and rolled the worn left front to the left rear as a spare. So far...no issues with TOD that I can notice.

Tried to get the flat repaired as I had road hazard...they said it was too bad to repair and I really had felt that way before I asked. Tried to order a new one for replacement and found out the company had gone out of buisness about a year ago. Was told that another company had bought them out and was supposed to resume production but my tire dealer has not heard when that is to happen. I gave them a week to see if they can locate another one laying around somewhere for a spare...probably not going to happen! Figure if I don't hear anything positive in a week, then I'll buy a 265/75/R16 Yokahama Geolander as a spare as it will have the same diameter & tread pattern but will be load C as opposed to my G.D.'s being load E.

If I can't get these when I need new tires I'll probably have to mount my original wheels up with dedicated snows for winter and buy MT's for these wheels for other duties.

Really liked the duality I was getting out of these for winter/summer use...darn it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

New company. Treadwright.com. They are double the price but they look AWESOME.