Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I don't care what you say...

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    ...my VX runs better on Premium.

Bart
    I drive about 250 miles each week and 90% is interstate and I hate to waste Higher $$ fuel there, but since gas prices are way down I think I'll run a tank of the good stuff. I do get "Pinging" with low and mid grade...Thanks for reminding me Bart..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Another key in the puzzle is the way you drive,that guys have a lot to do with the mileage you can run for each gallon of fuel you use.
    I personally don't press deep the gas pedal to move foward,plus the acceleration our VX's comes with is enough to move fast the almost 3000 pounds the VX weights.
    My secret : press the gas pedal little by little,the VX begins to gain speed & in 7 seconds the VX is moving at 30 mph; What more you want ?
    This is just my two cents quote
    Again, I would say it definitely depends on the circumstances. First of all, if you are not lifted and you live in a state that has barely any inclined roads, the VX's get-up-and-go power is certainly sufficient. I DO remember living in flat Illinois with a stock VX and being able to haul tail all over the place. But now, lifted, with bigger tires, a roof rack catching hella wind, and a 45° incline on the highway for 7 miles, it's tough to get my VX over 60mph sometimes without flooring it. Hell, loaded down with camping gear on the way to Moab into the wind I couldn't get over 45mph up hill at one point, even in POWER mode. So yeah, there are times out here where you have to push the skinny pedal a lot farther down to get the speed you want going up hill...but uphill burns gas, and that much I know!!

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Again, I would say it definitely depends on the circumstances. First of all, if you are not lifted and you live in a state that has barely any inclined roads, the VX's get-up-and-go power is certainly sufficient. I DO remember living in flat Illinois with a stock VX and being able to haul tail all over the place. But now, lifted, with bigger tires, a roof rack catching hella wind, and a 45° incline on the highway for 7 miles, it's tough to get my VX over 60mph sometimes without flooring it. Hell, loaded down with camping gear on the way to Moab into the wind I couldn't get over 45mph up hill at one point, even in POWER mode. So yeah, there are times out here where you have to push the skinny pedal a lot farther down to get the speed you want going up hill...but uphill burns gas, and that much I know!!

Bart
    yup bart....try living in colorado its really hilly...

secondly i go snowboarding 2 days a week at minimum so i need the extra power to get up and down the pass
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

"It's not "trouble", I've never had issues running on regular either. Its just way better with premium. Starting up is better, idle is better, and pick up is WAY better. You should give it a try."

That & an electric fan conversion - I may never have to fill up again
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Wink

entering 9 years of ownership...I ran premium up until my trip to Moab last May. I was "forced" to run lower octane because some of the stations didn't offer anything over 87.

Now thats ALL I run as long as I'm not going to be doing any "aggressive" driving. If I was to run an autocross or something I'd play it safe & fill up with premium for the sake of being supercharged...if I was stock I'd NEVER run premium again.

Maybe my driving style, terrain, or VX's personal taste is different than most???? Maybe the regular in my area is better than most??? But, I've never heard a knock or ping whether I run regular or premium and I swear mine gets worse gas mileage when I run Premium.

Since I changed my fuel pressure regulator years ago, mine starts at the touch of the key whether its cold or warmed up irregardless of regular or premium.

I used to be one of you guys when it concerned this topic. No Longer.

My truck with 5.2L V8 & real duals (Magnaflow's) & Headers (Gibson) with chrome "carburator" style 360 deg. open air filter just started pinging on regular the other day.....the cause....tiny (pinhole) vaccuum leak on cruise control hose. If my cruise control hadn't quit working I'd never have found it. Replaced hose & no pinging what so ever floored going up steep hill with regular in tank.

Do whatever works for you...me...I'm running regular unless something changes.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/09/2008 at 10:51 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    Since our thrashy ol Isuzu 6 runns out of breath long before redline, it really only helps to about 4500 rpm....the last couple thousand rpm is all clatter, and agricultural noise.
    That's true for the stock VX, but a supercharged VX has much longer legs, with almost all of the improvement above 4000 rpms. Plenty of reason to run in Power Mode if you have an S/C!

That said, I haven't noticed much of a difference between how it performs on premium vs. regular. I'll try switching back and forth a couple of times this winter...

I'm stock,but I'll play with a few tanks while gas is so cheap.I think OPEC is about to cut production.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I was "forced" to run lower octane because some of the stations didn't offer anything over 87.
    The story goes that you don't need the octane rating at altitude. Throughout most of Colorado you can't get 93 proof. The pumps here have 82/85/91.

The VX doesn't seem to mind what I put in it, but the Subaru throws check-engine lights if I put cheap stuff in -- it claims the catalytic converter isn't working.

In any case, the price of gas has gone down so much that I'm willing to splurge again. It feels really strange to refill the car for less than $20 again...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I'm stock,but I'll play with a few tanks while gas is so cheap.I think OPEC is about to cut production.

Yup... December 17th... might cut it by 1 1/2 -2 1/2 million barrels a day... suposed to up oil to $65-$75 a barrel... I don't think it will... I think we're headed to $30 a barrel till early spring then it will start going up... we shall see...

We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    suposed to up oil to $65-$75 a barrel... I don't think it will...
    Me neither - I think the slump in the global economy will do more to reduce prices than cutting the supply. If OPEC tries to push the prices up, demand will drop even more...

I do not care what you say

My VX is running better on H2O:bgwg: