Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shocks - Rancho 9000xl

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Shocks - Rancho 9000xl

Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.
    Live Free or DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by VehiX View Post
    Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.
    I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...
    i think you are the only person i have ever heard that from.. why dont you like them? just curious.. i have my stock shocks and a back up set i dont plan on getting rid of..

Thanks for your response iamironman, but I'm looking specifically for the 9000XL's not the 9000's. I have done searches where people mentioned that they have em and love em but no details on them.

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the 9000's? Anyone know the major difference between the 9000's and the 9000XL's?

The stock shocks are not an option for me as I don't have a spare arm and leg to fork over for them! Not sure what makes them worth $425 a peice either?! I'm convinced that price is a misprint from the dealer! For that price I could have a custom set up built from fabtech or some other outrageous suspension company/setup! Sheesh

Anyway, I have asked about the XL's before ...over a year ago... and still no one seems to have the details. If you own the XL's and have some info for me, please chime in.

Thanks

Ok... I was being ummmm short... they are the rancho 9000xl's... I was not aware they had just 9000's without the 'xl'...

I don't like them.... I bought the vx in july and they were already on... they have the in cab controll to charge them and release the air and the dual pressure gauge... they have never worked right... I fill them up, they hold the pressure... I drive around a bit, notice the ride is deteriorating... look down they are empty... one point, one air tube burst... not sure why... but a mech friend found the leak and replaced the tube for me.... worked just like before...! up n down.... I thought it was cool at first... even bragged to buddies how I could go from highway to off-road on-the-fly... but after weeks, nay months now of constantly reaching down and pushing the button to fill them back up every couple hours... now they won't fill up at all anymore... can hear the motor chuggin away but no fill up... and I've had two people including Tone try and find the leak.... no luck... BUT.... I am willing to give them one last chance to redeem themselves.... I'm going to take the vx to a rancho dealer and see if they can find the problem (find it cheap, hope they don't charge to 'find' a problem).... and if it is a reasonable $$ fix, git 'r dun, if they don't hold up... something else goes wrong with them, I'm switching.... I'd rather have something that, in the immortal words of our great denizen of the infomercial Ron Popiel says.... I can: "Set it and Forget it"

that makes sense then, i have heard that complaint a few times about the in cabin controls for it.. an installer told me that like 75% or more have trouble with the remote system. as far as i know, very few people have had trouble with leaking if they dont have the remote system (just turn the dial on the shocks themselves instead)

Well which shocks would you recommend for the following situation (currently running OEMs)
    1. You can barely stand the incredibly rough ride. Bone jarring is how I would describe it.
    2. You do not anticipate doing any off roading.

Rancho's set at medium? Bilsteins?

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329
    Well with the Ranchos, you DO have options! Just sayin'
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets

OK, going back to basics here... are my standard shocks shot or ok? The ride is bone juddering to say the least. I always thought that if they were shot the ride would be 'wallowy' but others comments suggest it would be very hard?

What is the standard set up like. I'm convinced mine is too hard, but always thought that was 'how they are'!

James, can I have a ride in yours to compare????

Nick
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1997 Vehicross with mods coming! --- 1995 Pajero with lots of mods!
    2000 Audi Allroad - Wife won't let me mod

Owner of the Four Wheel Drive Club in the UK - pop in and say hi! Click pic for link.

Nick if your teeth rattle everytime you run over a strip in the road and you can feel every little pebble in you butt then your VX is just right.
    Seriously, the ride is pretty stiff (brutal) to begin with; at least that's my experience. I'm with you, if the shocks are going out the VX would bounce up and down a few times after you hit a bump. Also, you can crawl under the VX and look at the shocks to see if they are leaking fluid.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Some 1st person input on the Rancho RS9000XL

I too disliked the extremely rough ride, and literally thought my back door was going to jiggle off or at least bend/damage the hinges when driving on dirt/gravel roads.

After off-roading in Moab 1st day, back door was jarred askew and didn't close correctly...Jack (pbkid) or some other mystery VXer fixed it while it sat in the parking lot at the Red Rock Lodge.

After much research, went with the Ranch RS9000xl's, have all set at 5.

Some observations:
    ~2 of 4 OEMs (1 front, 1 rear) were blown, but no fluid was leaking.
    ~pushing on front and rear fenders showed virtually NO movement, so the "pushing test" to assess shocks was not helpful in my case.
    ~my VX rides only about 1/2" above rear bump stop, which means it hits it hard virtually every time I hit ANY bump/pebble.
    ~Tim Parker (SBC) told me that most VXs either rode sitting ON the bump stop, or had very little clearance like mine (and his)...so the rough slammin' ride was very much related to this.
    ~I've considered cutting bump stops in half as many have done...but mechanic talked me out of it (can't recall why dang it)
    ~Hubby's FJ and my 4Runner have about 7-8" clearance above rear bump stops...so I don't understand why the VX has so very little clearance.
    ~Ride on rough/gravel/dirt road did improve with the Ranchos, rear door jiggling noise is reduced. (I literally assess the ride by how loud the noise is from rear door).
    ~I recall a post that said the Ranchos set at level 9 were still softer than the OEMs.

Very pleased I got the Ranchos, the way I look at it, with 9 adjustments, I have much greater flexibility to find a ride I like, and can change it. It's still firm enough that I'm pleased with cornering and off-road performance.

I too got a deal on the Ranchos, but 3 get 1 free...I paid $97 x3.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I've been using the Rancho RS9000x (not xl) Shocks for a good 2 or so years. I don't really have a complaint about them. I've always had them set to 9 since the day I installed them. I did find that my OEM shocks had no rebound after uninstalling them. I would literally have to pull the shaft out manually.

But do to the construction i have to drive through on a daily basis now, Just like VX Kat, I'm afraid my rear door is going to swing open one day on its own... I wish there was more we could do about that instead of its limited adjust-ability.

Some decent coilovers would be really awsome!!!
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Here are the two number's for Bruce's Suspension that I had saved in my phone. I can go out to the garage and find the invoice if these don't work:

(704) 798-0415

(704) 637-3675

Thanks for posting
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Milwaukee WI

Rancho Shock Rebates

I just got an email on my Advance Auto rewards card that starting April 1st Rancho is running a $120 rebate on a set of 4 shocks. Good deal for those needing a set of shocks.
    "Take it up with my butt, cuz he's the only one that gives a crap"

Carter Pewterschmidt