Thread: Wheel locks..

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wheel locks..

well i finally managed to lose my wheel lock key.. knew it was a matter of time, luckily i found out because i was cleaning out my glove box and i know it used to be in there.. so this is just a friendly reminder... make sure you know where your wheel lock key is! not having it could make changing a tire very difficult.. and who wants that on a cold icy road?

also if you havent done it.. you should send in your registration card for your wheel locks to McGard.. will make ordering a new key much easier.. and if you dont have your registration card.. might be a good idea to take the stock wheel locks off.. and get a new set that you can register so that if you need to, you can always re-order

Just a friendly reminder.. dont want anyone stuck out there!

Some other good advice is to always loosen the wheel lock lug first when removing a wheel from the hub; and, tighten the wheel lock lug last when replacing a wheel on the hub. Otherwise, the removed "torgue pressure" from the other lug nuts will make it nearly impossible to remove the wheel lock lug, and may cause you to strip/mar the key pattern on the wheel lock lug and/or wheel lock key itself.

You can put the key in your lug wrench (the one that came with the VX) & tape in place. You'll always be able to find it. Of course, so will the thief.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart

I am on my 2nd set

If mechanics would just put the damn things back I would not have that problem

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart
    $45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    $45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol
    You know, I think that number is in my head cause I had to pay for next day air. I lifted and lost the key, and 3 days later was my appointment to get my new tires mounted and then the following week was Moab so I wasn't taking any chances!

I think the key was $14.99 but I paid like $30 for FEDEX next day air.

Bart

Angry OK SO I have lost my wheellock key!

I saw post saying I could get one from McGuard but don't know what to order. I am getting new tires put on in two weeks. Help!

You mean you have wheel stud locks but you do not have the key? Yes, you can order one from McGuard, but you need the number that came with the key, should be in a little black plastic sleave. If you've lost both, I'm not sure you can get a replacement. You might have to have a tire shop chisel them off.

Bart

I lost my wheel key too a while back, and like Bart said, you will need to go to a tire shop to have them removed. They must have some kind of socket with some teeth on it that just grabs the wheel lock. It took them about two minutes to remove my wheel locks, and they didn't charge me anything. The bit that they use did put some big divots in my wheel locks, but since I didn't have the key I was going to replace them anyway.

I got a whole set of lug nuts and wheel locks from McGard:
    http://www.mcgard.com/Applications/A...59oK1ZwQ%3d%3d
    The VX uses a cone seat style lug nut and wheel lock. I ordered the "cone seat lock" part number 24196 and they worked perfectly.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Yup, I had 3 sets and all the keys only worked with one set of lugs. Marlin just got lucky with his set.

So Larry, you have 3 locking lugs and 3 normal per wheel? That should slow 'em down a bit for sure.

Whoopsy; sorry gang about the mis-information about the wheel lock key fitting all VX's, as it's apparent that I was in error. It looks like I assumed based upon MARLIN's happenstance experience and we all know what "assume" means. My bad; thanx for setting the record straight.

I got lucky! I AGAIN went through the box of things I had taken out of my VX when it went in to get a new motor and found mine! WHEW! I am going to guard that thing with my life! LOL