Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheel locks..

Wheel locks..

well i finally managed to lose my wheel lock key.. knew it was a matter of time, luckily i found out because i was cleaning out my glove box and i know it used to be in there.. so this is just a friendly reminder... make sure you know where your wheel lock key is! not having it could make changing a tire very difficult.. and who wants that on a cold icy road?

also if you havent done it.. you should send in your registration card for your wheel locks to McGard.. will make ordering a new key much easier.. and if you dont have your registration card.. might be a good idea to take the stock wheel locks off.. and get a new set that you can register so that if you need to, you can always re-order

Just a friendly reminder.. dont want anyone stuck out there!

Some other good advice is to always loosen the wheel lock lug first when removing a wheel from the hub; and, tighten the wheel lock lug last when replacing a wheel on the hub. Otherwise, the removed "torgue pressure" from the other lug nuts will make it nearly impossible to remove the wheel lock lug, and may cause you to strip/mar the key pattern on the wheel lock lug and/or wheel lock key itself.

You can put the key in your lug wrench (the one that came with the VX) & tape in place. You'll always be able to find it. Of course, so will the thief.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart

I am on my 2nd set

If mechanics would just put the damn things back I would not have that problem

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Yup, I lost mine somehow right after I did my lift. It just vanished in the garage. I think what happened was that I pulled the wrench off the wheel after I tightened it and the lock stayed on the lug nut and I didn't realize it, and then I drove off and lost it somewhere. Anyway, $45 later and overnight shipping from McGuard saved me!

Bart
    $45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    $45?

they told me 14.99 for another key lol
    You know, I think that number is in my head cause I had to pay for next day air. I lifted and lost the key, and 3 days later was my appointment to get my new tires mounted and then the following week was Moab so I wasn't taking any chances!

I think the key was $14.99 but I paid like $30 for FEDEX next day air.

Bart

I think the key was $14.99 but I paid like $30 for FEDEX next day air.

Bart
    oof.. i woulda told em to put it on a carrier pigeon.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    oof.. i woulda told em to put it on a carrier pigeon.. lol
    Yeah, well, they kinda had my nads in a vice, it was really bad timing for me to loose the lock, with Moab a week away! I had to do it.

Bart

Yeah, well, they kinda had my nads in a vice, it was really bad timing for me to loose the lock, with Moab a week away! I had to do it.

Bart
    yea i know what you mean, i woulda paid it in your situation probably.. still cheaper than paying someone to get the wheel locks off then buying a new set at the store

Maybe I'll just order a spare key now, and put it in the garage toolbox. Maybe hide them around the vehicle too...

I keep mine in the Jackstowage. The stock lug wrench doesn't work with my wheels so I have a separate 1/2" Drive set that I keep in the VX..

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Maybe I'll just order a spare key now, and put it in the garage toolbox. Maybe hide them around the vehicle too...

I keep mine in the Jackstowage. The stock lug wrench doesn't work with my wheels so I have a separate 1/2" Drive set that I keep in the VX..
    You know stating on a public forum for the world to see where you keep your wheel lock key on a very unique easy to spot vehicle with your location in your profile might not be the smartest thing in the world.....

"You know stating on a public forum for the world to see where you keep your wheel lock key on a very unique easy to spot vehicle with your location in your profile might not be the smartest thing in the world..... "

But if you have 'offset from hell' they will assume your rims won't fit anything else & won't bother with you.

BTW - I don't keep mine in the lug wrench anyway (I need a 12" extention just to get tom my lugnuts) - it was just an idea.

I’m surprised no one has come up with some kind of tether to attach the key to the lug wrench.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

My VX has 1 lug on each wheel that has no chrome cap & is corroded. Thought it's obviously a locking lug because there's 1 on each wheel. Couldn't find the key, searched the car completely. Used car dealer absolutely no help..."try looking in the glove box, center console or by the jack"...DOH! Like we didn't think of that! Took it to Big O tires to find out how much to drill it off or whatever they have to do....they said it was NOT a lock, just missing it's chrome cap. What's the probability that precisely 1 on each wheel would loose it's cap? Or that 4 caps would be lost and previous owner put 1/wheel? A 19mm fit but because it was missing it's cap, an 18mm fit perfectly. He DIDN'T loosen it.

1) Big O guy said Isuzu lugs are "notoriously" bad for cross threading and then impossible to get off. Any truth to that?
    He didn't sell lugs anyway so he had no real reason to say that to sell us some, so we decided to go get 24 new lug nuts before he proceeded removing those 4 lugs.

2) What brand do you guys recommend?

3) What brand of locking lug do you recommend most McGard...Gorilla?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.